underground drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, thanks in advance for taking the time to read

I currently have 1 four inch soil pipe managing my upstairs bathroom with no man hole.

i have started my garage conversion of which i intend to install a down stairs bathroom and washing machine/wash area. My plan was to install a manhole in my back garden where my current 4 inch runs. Tap into this with a new 4 inch for my downstairs bathroom. Toilet - straight into four inch Basin - into back of multi on toilet.

My problem is then the shower waste and washing machine waste. I was planning on bossing my shower waste straight into the 4 inch under ground and maybe even bossing in my washing machine waste to.

Would this comply with regs? Do you see any problem with this? I could easily run another four inch into the room if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The last time I needed to get involved with that kind of thing was a long time ago and then you needed a back inlet gulley with a screw down cover.

Things change from time to time and hopefully someone will be able to suggest what would satisfy the current building regulations.

Tony

You can connect one toilet directly into a 110mm foul drain providing the drain invert (the horizontal bit in the ground) is a maximum 1.3m below ground. Bossing several connections into an unvented drain invert is not ideal & will likely give problems with trap siphoning on the other runs when you flush the loo; you will probably need to either vent waste runs or start fitting Hepvo valves. As you want to connect other services, I would advise you construct a new soil stack rather than go for a direct connection, the extra cost is negligeable & it will make things a whole lot easier, you can then make separate connections to the stack for each waste run. The stack can be internal or external, full height & fully vented or a stub stack (above the highest flood point) fitted with an AAAV (Durgo); you can now get valves rated for external use but you need to clear this with LABC first.

What else do you plan for your garage conversion? If it’s to be a habitable space it will be subject to Building Regulations including the installation of your new bathroom; the drainage work is also notifyable.

Thank you both for your replies guys, really grateful.

I'l be honest with you i have not bothered getting building control in as i think there prices are over valued. I have taken photos every step of the way should they every question anything (i have no doubt this will not be good enough for them).

After talking to a plumber today i think my plan is going to be as followed.

Installing one new vented soil stack which will tee up for my toilet, and basin going into the back of the pan connector. The tee will then continue to where my washing machine waste will bung into the top of the pipe. As this vertical pipe will be closer to my shower waste i will then boss my shower waste into this.

Hope you can all work out what im on about.

Please say if you think this is a stupid idea.

Sponsored Links
I'l be honest with you i have not bothered getting building control in as i think there prices are over valued. I have taken photos every step of the way should they every question anything (i have no doubt this will not be good enough for them).
No it won’t be.
Please say if you think this is a stupid idea.
Yes it will be :rolleyes:

Pipe the wc direct to an access chamber junction just outside the property with a screwed down sealed lid.
Then good rodding access available. Then from here to the manhole.
One inlet for the wc and another for the w/m-shower. With the latter terminating at an appropiate location using an underground epdm universal drain adapter.
How you proceed from there will depend on your layout.

Thanks for the reply

In all honesty though i have done work a number of times and not involved BC and its worked out better. Everytime i involve them there is no consistance between what one says and what another says. I have always worked to regs to avoid problems and so far so good. This was the reason i was asking the drainage question in the hope someone may know how to get around it in line with the regs.

The advise from alot of people on here was also not to involve BC on such a small job.

Thankful for your views though

Pipe the wc direct to an access chamber junction just outside the property with a screwed down sealed lid.
Then good rodding access available. Then from here to the manhole.
One inlet for the wc and another for the w/m-shower. With the latter terminating at an appropiate location using an underground epdm universal drain adapter.
How you proceed from there will depend on your layout.

Thanks for the reply Norcon, very helpful.

With this epdm fitting is it suitable to have this fitted underground? If so could i then stick my 40mm pipe into it so far and tee off for both my shower and w/m? ( so all i would see is a 40mm pipe coming through the ground rather then a 4inch then 40mm.

Thanks again for your time

Yes its suitable for underground. It can have two inlets so you could have separate pipes for the shower and w/m. 40mm for the w/m and the appropiate size for the shower trap.
Or a single 50mm pipe and a T junction reduced to 40mm for the w/m and the other socket reduced to the shower trap outlet size.
I would do it in glued abs.(solvent weld) Straight cuts and deburring are important.

Thank you very much for your time, you have given me some good ideas to work with and i think the problem is sorted now.

Thanks once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back