underground leak

bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a job to do,the water supply pipes to a sink are leaking underground,the advice i need is how to approach this,i was going to uncover the pipes and fix of course,and then just recover the pipes with new concrete.do i need to cover the join to protect them with anything before recovering them with concrete.

can anybody advice on what to charge for such a job,i have to remove the sink and surrounding kitchen cuboards to gain access to remove the concrete

thanks in advance

MOD

please see item 9

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply kevplumb,im guessing its leaking on the join underground,the water is coming out where the pipe enters the ground,im guessing the join has failed,so there wont be much pipe underground,are the speedfit connections suitableto be placed in concrete?

Rip out all buried pipe and renew.

Surface mount all your pipes for access at a later date if needed.

No need to bury pipes as they can be boxed in or hidden from view behind cabinets etc. :D

Sponsored Links
the sink is located at the end of a extension,all pipe leading to there is underground,plus because of the outlay of the room,its not possible to surface mount the pipework,the customer wanted me to take the concrete up and just fix the leak,or is it not has easy as that,i never have done a job yet where i have had to rip up the ground

YOu will have to dig up the ground until you find the leak.
:(
Sod's law will probably apply and you will dig most of it before you find leak.
Ask client if you can cap off supply to underground pipe and then run surface mounted supply to sink.
Otherwise get the Kanga out and enjoy :LOL:

thats what i was thinking lol,i might be able to surface mount the pipes,only there is a back door in the way,so got to get round this,i think i will go and get some verbal advice,a bit easier to explain,

Hi Bar

Looks like you and I have the same problem. I have just been asked to quote for a job where the old copper pipe work in the extension is leaking under the floor. Customer wants the pipe work fixed and replaced. Because of the layout of the old house and the new extension it is not practical to surface mount the pipes - that was my first recommendation, but no one has and idea where the pipe runs go under the old house and it's solid concrete flooring.

The leak had been going on for a long time so much of the concrete is rotten, insurance company is paying for a new floor but not new pipes (go figure). Yesterday they sent some guy around with a kango to take up the floor - because of the vibrations and the fact that the pipes are corroded there are now numerous small leaks, there is a 15mm Hot/cold supply to the sink, a 22mm feed/return from the boiler & a 15mm buried gas pipe. BG are going to fix the gas.

I plan to use a diamond tipped cutter to cut out the floor either side of the pipe - less vibration and less problems down the line. Then once back to good pipe will use copper to plastic connector and then plastic pipe to replace the runs - quoted on a day rate as I have no idea what I am going to find once I start to take up the floor.

Have fun....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back