undersink sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked on the forum for info about sockets under a sink but cannot find any posts.I have moved to a house and the washing machine and dishwasher sockets are positioned under the sink near the incoming water pipes and waste outlets.The sockets are spurs that are fed off the ring via a fused fcu which is sited above the work surface.Are the sockets ok where they are or do they need moving away from the pipework

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It is permitted, provided they are not liable to be splashed in normal use

However IMO it is undesirable, because, as you say, the sink might overflow or there could be a leak. You could change them for waterproof sockets with sealing covers as are used in the garden, but good ones (MK or Crabtree brands) are quite expensive and the cheaper ones often do not seal when a plug is in the socket.

In my view it is preferable, with undercounter appliances, to have a switch above the worktop in the wall over the appliance, feeding a socket on the wall behind the appliance. It is true that if the fuse in the plug ever blows, you have to pull out the appliance to change it, but this is very rare these days, and the appliance will probably have to come out for repair if it does have such a fault.

this method is very neat and easy to understand, and it means you can change the appliance without having to cut off plugs or poke the flex through tiny gaps in cupboards.

Most electrical work in kitchens is notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back