Understairs Cupboard SOIL AREA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently undertaking some repairs to the stairs in my house and have discovered the following. To get to the back of the stairs I had to take off a huge amount of lath and plaster so I can get the repairing them which is largely creaks before we lay carpet down. It is an undertstairs cupboard which is mostly concreted but under the curve spiral bit of the stairs there lies just bare soil. Its not damp but it contains a lot of debris like slate and glass. Should I leave it like this and is it good for the ventilation. As far as I can see its below the damp proofing old slate. Ready made for my tomato plants I think not lol. The house was built in 1910 and is a traditional narrow two bed terrace so is very old.

Attachments

• 20191002_181455.jpg
    20191002_181455.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
your treads are supported on ledgers that look like bits of scrap wood? if they are well fixed OK - if not the replace.
the wood prop resting on soil isn't a good idea - there should not be any wood to soil contact.

dont nail anything - screw everything.

you could remove all the debris and lay some plastic as a kind of DIY membrane over the soil.

seems like the space is already getting good ventilation.

some more pics thanks for the ad vice yes the bottom spiral stairs are knackred im not sure how to repeir i have put wood struts on the other ones

Attachments

• 20191002_195614.jpg
    20191002_195614.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 95
another shot

Attachments

• 20191002_181455.jpg
    20191002_181455.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
thanks for the pics but i dont really want to start giving advice when the problem winders and strings are in a maybe bad condition.
its not a good idea to rely on a bit of propping and some scrap ledgers.
why not get a heads up from a joiner on site?

ok thanks will do it looks like they have been repaired but to a substandard level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back