Understanding my system (Diverter valve)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post so firstly i would like to say hello and a happy new year to you all.

I have been doing some internet research and believe that the system that i have is an open vented y plan but on my valve it says that it is a diverter valve and not a mid-position valve so i looked them up on the internet to see what the difference is.

Q1, It say's that a diverter valve has only 2 posistions hot water or heating/hot water is this correct?

Q2, It also say's that a diverter valve gives hot water priority so does that mean that if hot water and heating are both being called for the heating won't come on till the hot water is satisfied?

Q3, I was also wondering when hot water is satisfied via the cylinder thermostat but heating is also called for as there are only 2 positions that the valve can be in does that mean that even though the water is hot enough the water is still going through the cylinder coil because that port is alway's open if so it doesn't really make sense.

Thankyou.

Joe.

Sponsored Links
Q1, It say's that a diverter valve has only 2 posistions hot water or heating/hot water is this correct?

yes, it is open to 1 port or the other
ie it will be hot water or heating

Q2, It also say's that a diverter valve gives hot water priority so does that mean that if hot water and heating are both being called for the heating won't come on till the hot water is satisfied?

yes, if its control wiring is as such

Q3, I was also wondering when hot water is satisfied via the cylinder thermostat but heating is also called for as there are only 2 positions that the valve can be in does that mean that even though the water is hot enough the water is still going through the cylinder coil because that port is alway's open if so it doesn't really make sense.

no as it isn't always open to that port

are you sure its an actual diverter valve though? you will be better off answering D_H's question first

Matt

Thanks for the reply,

It is a honeywell V4073A Diverter valve well thats what it say's on the metal cover anyway. After some more research am i right in saying that that model is actually a mid-position valve?

I'm thinking that maybe i have the wrong programmer if thats the case as i cannot select heating on it,s own.

The programmer is a Seimens RWB2E,

Just wondered if my other queries were correct aswell?

Sorry to throw to many questions at one time.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
yes its a mid position valve and your programmer is capable of allowing you to select central heating on its own, providing it has been set up as fully pumped (there is a selector switch on the back of the programmer)

do you mean that if you try to select ch on its own the hw is automatically selected too? if so then the programmer req set up as above

Matt

Whilst you've got the timer off the back plate, check there is a wire connected to terminal no 1. There needs to be a core connected to this terminal to power the boiler in the heating only position. If there is no core in terminal no 1 then the 3 port isn't wired for independent heating.

If there is then just move the selector on the back of the timer from position 10 to 16.

yes its a mid position valve and your programmer is capable of allowing you to select central heating on its own, providing it has been set up as fully pumped (there is a selector switch on the back of the programmer)

do you mean that if you try to select ch on its own the hw is automatically selected too? if so then the programmer req set up as above

Matt

Yes that sounds about right, both sliders on the programmer seem to move together. I will look on the back of the programmer to make sure it is in fully pumped mode. thanks to everyone who has replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back