Understanding Permitted Development..or not!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Would really welcome any advice clarification anyone can give.

We are in the process of buying a victorian semi detached house (currently flats).

House is classic L shape at rear. We were hoping to extend into the side extension to square things off and then extend to the rear across the back of the whole house

From what I had understood (not much apparently !) I thought we could extend up to 6 metres to the rear?

However planning have advised that the measurement for extending to the rear would be taken from dining room window i.e the bit that we were hoping to square off and the furthest back, meaning that even if we were to use the maximum 6 metres the projection of the extension at the rear would only be a maximum of 1 metre.

Hope this makes sense in some way, if anyone could clarify I would be so grateful, going round in circles.

Have to make full planning application to convert back to one dwelling, and had (now it seems wrongly)thought that extension could be done under permitted development. If requires full permission not able to produce detailed plans that quickly to make one application and hoped to avoid paying 2 full planning costs.

Thanks a million

Sponsored Links
1) Permitted Development, with regards to extending a dwelling, does not apply to flats.

2) The rear dimension limit is from any rear wall that you are extending beyond. It is not the rear most wall. Have a read here, page 16: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

But as mentioned that is irrelevant unless the property is a house. ie the change of use has been granted and full PD rights have been reinstated.

Your post is rather confusing. You talk about an L shape (which to me implies a rear extension) and then refer to a side extension. You also say you want to extend into an extension and I'm not sure what that means either. You talk about your dining room window without saying clearly where the dining room is

Could you please draw a sketch of your plot and house?

Using a black pen draw all the house walls as it was built/as it was in 1948
In blue pen draw anything that has been added after 1948. In red pen draw the boundary of your plot. In dashed line and any colour pen draw the extension you are proposing
It would also further help if you label every wall with a letter of the alphabet so we can refer to them when advising you

To post an image you upload them underneath your reply, add the images to an album in your profile and then they will show under your reply post as something to click on which will insert a link into your post. The diagram need not be fancy. Just a hand drawn sketch and take a photo of it on your phone will do if you don't want to draw it on the computer

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry to confuse you cjard, its hard to describe in words!

Huge thanks to freddiemercurystwin, for the link, which has made it all really clear, andI now know what I can & cant do.

Getting on with the full planning application now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back