uneven floating wood floor..Help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have just had a floating engineered wood floor fitted (by a flooring company) in my 47m2 L-shaped lounge, had some initial fitting problems that involved them having to "latex" the sub-floor to get it level.

So the whole floor has been fitted now and door bars glued in But have noticed two springy areas where it seems the sub floor is not that level (just happens to be in the areas where they did not level the floor because they thought it was level enough).

Do I get them in to take up the floor (Again!) or is there a way they can solve it without without pulling up the floor again ?

I have only paid a deposit at the moment.

thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
There's no way to fix this retrospectively. They should have checked their levels before they started, it's pretty fundamental stuff really.

Pay for it when you are happy with it.

a floating floor will be springy regardless.

there is no such thing as a perfect floor.

even if the sub floor were perfect there is a chance the engineered wood could spring away from the ply.

the best way to avoid the spring effect is to either mechanically fix or glue the floor down.

Don't agree with this noseall. It all depends - indeed - on quality. Quality wood-engineered floor boards on quality - level and sound - underfloor won't result in a 'springy' floor when installed floating. (Feel free to walk in our showroom: all floating wood-engineered floors down and none of them 'springy, they feel as 'solid' as can be).

Most floating floors, properly installed, that do feel 'springy' are installed on chipboard with insulation underneath it, where the construction of the underfloor is lacking in quality (what we call 'bounding floors')

Sponsored Links
Don't agree with this noseall. It all depends - indeed - on quality. Quality wood-engineered floor boards on quality - level and sound - underfloor won't result in a 'springy' floor when installed floating. (Feel free to walk in our showroom: all floating wood-engineered floors down and none of them 'springy, they feel as 'solid' as can be).

Most floating floors, properly installed, that do feel 'springy' are installed on chipboard with insulation underneath it, where the construction of the underfloor is lacking in quality (what we call 'bounding floors')

thank god, someone who knows what they're on about. ;)

I have a similar issue but I am mid way through laying the floor myself (DIY). We had a new porch added recently and I naievely assumed that the screed they laid would be level with the hallway.

Now that that section of the porch/hall is laid (no skirting on yet) it has a horrible spring. The underlay is 10mm XPS (to match up levels elsewhere in the house) followed by 3mm howdens foam roll with DPM.

My question for you pros is: should I take up the floor and pour an area of self leveling compound or would an additional layer of 3mm underlay in that zone likely be sufficient?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back