Uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a chap round doing work in one of our upstairs bedrooms, which involved lifting the floor, installing insulation in the cavity and relaying the floor.

This has left the floor slightly uneven - see pics below. The chap says this is normal and once underlay and a carpet are laid there will be no noticeable unevenness.

Is this correct or is he having us on? Simple logic says to me that if something is not flat, then laying 2 separate materials on top of that won't automatically correct that!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
He's got something trapped under the board so get him back or hire a decent joiner.
Time you also looked for a new plumber !!

He's got something trapped under the board so get him back or hire a decent joiner.
Time you also looked for a new plumber !!

He's coming back out this week.

Back to my original question - when underlay / the carpet is put down, will this eliminate/minimise the unevenness?

Definitely not ! If you look at old houses with slightly dished floor boards, underlay and carpets you can make out every board.
Your floor looks like chipboard so there is no reason why it shouldn't be dead flat. You also need to ensure the joints are tightly closed otherwise you'll eventually see depressions. And make sure he screws the boards down or they'll start squeaking on the nails.

Sponsored Links
Depending how thick the underlay and carpet is.
If using a thick underlay then yeah it might hide it but I would get it fixed flat before putting any covering on it. I mean what happens if you want to plywood it and lay a Karndean floor or similar in the future.
It would have to be flat for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back