Unexplainable 3x2 across roof joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice. Not sure if this is the right section or not

I am building some cupboard starage into a already converted attic room

Everything is fine and sorted but there seems to be an unexplainable 3x2 sat across the roof joists at an angle which will make boarding the floor nearly impossible whiltlst it is still there

Is seems to be going into the brick at one side an just laying across the top of the joists
It isn't fixed to any of the joists apart from being fixed into a pocket in one brick wall

It's a mid terrace house

Any help on what this may be?

It doesn't seem to be doing anything and the angle it is layed across the joists just doesn't make sense

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it has been a ceiling binder which someone has removed.

Thing is at one end it is still into the brick

And just straddled across

Would it be safe to remove?

If its lying loose!

Is it not fixed to the ceiling joists?

Sponsored Links
Iv just checked it seems to be nailed to the joists but only secured to the brickwork at one end

Does that mean it can't/shouldn't be removed?

Iv tried to get a picture but you can't really see

I also forgot to mention I am not trying to make the space into anything other than sticking some boards down to store stuff in a cupboard space

If the timber was running strand I'd just box over it and work around it but the way it's laying makes that nearly impossible

If I raise the level up to the timber it would look stupid as well

There's no such binder on the other side of the loft space it just seems to be this one

If it's nailed to the joists, it might have been intended to be a binder, which in turn is normally supported by 2 or 3 offcuts of timber nailed up to a convenient purlin or the ridge. Maybe the builder forgot, or maybe a previous owner has removed them?
If you remove it, your ceiling might be a litle less rigid.

If it's nailed to the joists, it might have been intended to be a binder, which in turn is normally supported by 2 or 3 offcuts of timber nailed up to a convenient purlin or the ridge. Maybe the builder forgot, or maybe a previous owner has removed them?
If you remove it, your ceiling might be a litle less rigid.

It is definitely not supported by anything other than being buried into the brickwork at one side and nailed to the joists across to the other side where it's just nailed and doesn't do into the brickwork at the other side

Also the previous owners were my parents who had the attic converted in 1980 (ish) so a long old time ago
I can definitely say that my parents haven't removed them

As you say the builder may have done this

You say the ceiling may be less rigid would that still be true as it is at the minute as I cannot see it providing any structural support as it is at the minute

I'm just trying to gain insight into whether it is safe to either remove it or move it

I've managed to get a couple of pics

This is where it's into the brickwork

This one is the other end there is a brick supporting wall to the right also

As mentioned they are nailed to the joists

[

I cannot see it providing any structural support as it is at the minute

It may not be providing vertical support, but it will be helping to distribute any applied load between the joists. For example, if you tread on one ceiling joist, the 3x2 will help to distribute some of your weight to the joists either side, so reducing the stress and deflection.
If you took it away, all your weight would just be on the one joist.

Thanks tony

Would it be feasible to replace what's there with another that sits straight? Thus making it easier to box over?

Also is there any reason logically speaking why there isn't another one at all bearing in mind that's right next to a load bearing wall that the joist sits on?

put your flooring down and when you get to it take it out as your new floor will be doing the same thing.

Thank pal

Just what I was after

Wanted to make sure it was safe to do so first before attempting anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back