Garage Roof Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently in the planning phase of a brick (self build) garage. The dimensions are 14 x 24 ft. I am curious what size roof joists i would use across a 14 ft span, I figure 6x2's but maybe 10x2's and then cutting the angle for drainage using a table saw, I figure this to be about 3" with a 1/60 drop.

Would seem to be a bt easier cutting down the one joist as opposed to cutting the angled joist (wedge shape over length of joist) and nailing onto a 6x2 but so far am not fully decided.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Say 4300 span.
Access for maintenance and repair only Dead load, 0.50KN.m2. Imposed load 0.75KN/m2, will require C16 47x200 regulised down to 195mm, at 400 centres.
Firings on top either 75 down to 5m, or 70 down to zero. for 1 in 60 fall.
Regards oldun

Yep, as the old un says, firring strips fixed on top of the joists will give you the required fall. No need to have the joists cut to make the fall. ;) ;)

So 2x4's would be the order of the day then..

Answered 1 question...

I didn't know what the slanty bits ;) are called.. Firings (every days a school day), means I can hopefully get some 2x3's and rip them on the diagonal to make 2 firings out of each bit of timber and save wastage.

Cheers theoldun, and thanks for the confirmation joinerjohn, answers now stored on "puter" for future reference..

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find that 195mm are nearer 8" than 4" joists. The slanty bits are called firrings. Much easier to purchase these from a timber merchants than cut down 3" lengths ,diagonally. ;) ;) ;)

Joinerjohn,

I concur, was having a mathematical moment (or lack of).. was just about to edit my post, will have a word with my timber merchant and see if they do the firrings etc... have a few good ones near by.

Update - They sell them, happy days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back