Joists placed in UB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,
Putting in a 178 x 102 x 19 UB to open up kitchen into extension.
Originally was going to use 6x2 timber joists as the roof span is 2.4m,
also the joists will be resting one side in the actual UB web.
I dont actually know if the internal dimension of the UB will leave a gap if I use 6x2 forcing me to waste time and use packers.
Would it be better just to get 7x2 or even 8x2 joists so they can be notched into the UB.
Thanks as always for any guidance given

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is get some holes drilled in the web.

Bolt a timber into the web.

Fix jiify hangers and fit joists.

Is it quite straightforward for me to drill the web or should I get the UB supplier to do that?
Can I just bolt in a 6x2 joist, possibly at 600centres. Would that be sufficient Noseall?
Would I wrap the jiffy hangers around the joist before bolting in just to make it more secure?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Get the steel suppliers to drill M12 holes at 600c/c preferably staggered starting say 450mm in from each end.
Bolt a suitably sized timber into the web preferably cls as this has rounded edges and sits nicely in the steel.
Fix the joists with screws initially, lining up the joist tops, then wrap the jiffys round after as it it easier than trying to line up hangers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back