Unfortunate Advertising Slogans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just watched a Timewatch programme about the demise of domestic servility post first world war. From a poster advertising domestic appliances (1950's?) catchy or what -

"Don't kill your wife with work - Let electricity do it"

Will part P prevent Saatchi et al from practicing?

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
Just watched a Timewatch programme about the demise of domestic servility post first world war. From a poster advertising domestic appliances (1950's?) catchy or what -

Will part P prevent Saatchi et al from practicing?

I don't get it :confused:

I with Richardp on this one, do they mean let the new technology do the work or let the electricity kill your wife? :confused:

Sponsored Links
what I meant was "I don't get it !!!!!" little eyes i love ya, little eyes i love ya i love you in the spring time and the fall al al al anon.
everyone should have a "rum an shrub" and life will be grand.

very good Richard, the old "I don't get it" ploy as used in the movie BIG ;)

It's not really an advert.....................well, maybe
but when I'm involved in teaching sexual health promotion campaigns with student nurses I tell them about a a safer sex campaign that happened in in Australia a while ago.

It shows a very attractive woman in bed with her male partner.......(obviously post sex) the man then gets up from the bed and gets a can of petrol and pours it all over the woman and the bed - he then lights a match and throws it on the bed.......you see the woman screaming engulfed in flames.

Then the following words appear on the screen "Would you do this to someone you love.........wear a condom"

It was deemed as being more extreme and powerful than the iceberg and gravestone campaigns we had here!
But the Australians must have done something right as they don't have the problems we have re HIV/AIDS

JulieL said:
But the Australians must have done something right as they don't have the problems we have re HIV/AIDS

Simple answer is geographic isolation. The HIV strongholds are all easily accessable from Europe and the UK. People move about, and people bring HIV with them.

You try getting to Sydney in a tomato lorry via a Calais ferry...

Those Antepodeans who DO travel abroad are obviously going to be careful.

1) They are generally of above average intelligence (they come here to appreciate architecture, culture etc rather than get pi**ed up in Magalouf!)
2) They are moving about and therefore less likely to get to the unprotected sex stage of a relationship (thus saving them from those evil psychos who deliberately pass it on)

Richardp said:
what I meant was "I don't get it !!!!!" little eyes i love ya, little eyes i love ya i love you in the spring time and the fall al al al anon.
everyone should have a "rum an shrub" and life will be grand.

Come on! what is the 'secret' cordial then?
50:50 with salty Rum from ;) ;)

Wot abaht:-
6 oranges
1 pint cold water
2 - 3 lb sugar
1 pint orange juice
2 qt rum
?
:D :D

AdamW said:
..........You try getting to Sydney in a tomato lorry via a Calais ferry...

You try taking food into Oz as a visitor !!
The Australian Immigration is quite specific about Fruits / Vegetables being brought in. Customs Officials roam around arrivals with Sniffer Dogs.
BioSecurity Oz
;)

JulieL said:
It's not really an advert.....................well, maybe
but when I'm involved in teaching sexual health promotion campaigns with student nurses I tell them about a a safer sex campaign that happened in in Australia a while ago.

It shows a very attractive woman in bed with her male partner.......(obviously post sex) the man then gets up from the bed and gets a can of petrol and pours it all over the woman and the bed - he then lights a match and throws it on the bed.......you see the woman screaming engulfed in flames.

Then the following words appear on the screen "Would you do this to someone you love.........wear a condom"

It was deemed as being more extreme and powerful than the iceberg and gravestone campaigns we had here!
bit extreme to stop HIV, brings a whole new meaning to "you light my fire".

Craven A.......(ciggies way back) .. "Will not affect your throat"..Nah, the mining or the war`ll get you :eek:

Advertising Slogans!!!!

How about these (I have unfortunately had to slightly edit some of them so they don't get removed by the mods)....

1136418689_aol-censored.JPG
auntbessie-censored.JPG
Breezer.jpg
dublin-censored.JPG
durex.jpg
lidl.gif
nestle.gif
playstation.gif
poundstrecher.jpg
shipman.jpg
slimfast.jpg
stannah-censored.JPG