Unhappy with work done (ceiling repair) - what should I do

Tad defensive there, Alarm......I'm guessing you're in this position a lot with your customers, ie them not being happy with what you've done and refusing to pay what was agreed?

Nope, everything I do is above the regulations I have to work to. So there is no come back.
Always been paid on time and interim payments when agreed.

Always honour warranties and service calls. Although I have to admit when they do not ask for the return call or provide access I cannot do anything about it. As any other company, in fact regulations allow this if you have made the effort. This can be by calls or emails. When the client does not respond it is deemed you have tried. Even so the equipment will be serviceable and do its job. (see below)

I feel your slight to be rather insulting, as a professional who relies on word of mouth rather than wasting money on sh1te adverts.
I have never had a issue where I have failed to provide or the equipment fail to perform. Hence my higher prices.
Superior equipment costs, and the good fitting of it.

My stance is as another has mentioned.
You do the work, if the client is not satisfied then you are the one to have the opportunity to make good. Not another, and no reason to withhold payment.

I have told "clients" to get lost as I cannot be bothered with their attitude, that is a different kettle of fish. But I still honour my word with them.
That is a difference many cannot or do offer.

Sponsored Links
If he takes you to court then odds on you will lose, the judge isn't going to be interested if your happy with the work, the fact is that he has done work and you wont pay him. You cant order a curry then not pay as it wasn't spicy enough for you! You chose this contractor and he was recommended, so surly you've seen his work? You took time to get references? Im sorry youve had a bad job done but this is the bones of it.

So any standard of work is acceptable then?

Nope, everything I do is above the regulations I have to work to. So there is no come back.
Always been paid on time and interim payments when agreed.

Always honour warranties and service calls. Although I have to admit when they do not ask for the return call or provide access I cannot do anything about it. As any other company, in fact regulations allow this if you have made the effort. This can be by calls or emails. When the client does not respond it is deemed you have tried. Even so the equipment will be serviceable and do its job. (see below)

I feel your slight to be rather insulting, as a professional who relies on word of mouth rather than wasting money on sh1te adverts.
I have never had a issue where I have failed to provide or the equipment fail to perform. Hence my higher prices.
Superior equipment costs, and the good fitting of it.

My stance is as another has mentioned.
You do the work, if the client is not satisfied then you are the one to have the opportunity to make good. Not another, and no reason to withhold payment.

I have told "clients" to get lost as I cannot be bothered with their attitude, that is a different kettle of fish. But I still honour my word with them.
That is a difference many cannot or do offer.

I know what the general public are like......how they lie, how promises vanish, how they can turn on a five pence piece if it suits their cause, but you are at risk from appearing jaded by it by turning against the customer in almost all the posts here, even in this case when it's clear the guy did a pants job and expect paid for it. The customer should give him the chance to put it right and that's what the law says, but that is not always customers first instinct when they have had crap work done, as they expect he has done the best job he is capable of first time round. So it's normal that he doesn't want him back and doesn't necessarily indicate a dishonest customer.

The customer should give him the chance to put it right and that's what the law says

I don't think that is correct, because the OP's statutory rights have been broken which grants him the right to terminate any contract and withhold payment:

Your statutory rights

With contracts for Work and Materials where the main focus is labour and skill, you are always protected by three statutory terms, even if you have nothing in writing, or the contract you signed does not specifically mention them. They are:

1. Reasonable care and skill

As you are buying the services of a trained professional, there is the assumption that the builder or tradesman will act with ‘reasonable care and skill’. If he does not, you can claim a breach of your statutory rights and be entitled to terminate the contract and either pay nothing further or seek to get your money back through the courts. Where substandard work has been carried out, you may well have incurred greater potential costs to have the work put right, so it is not enough simply to ask for your money back. In such circumstances, it may be more appropriate to pursue a claim for damages. Remember that where the cost of the work is over £100 and you are able to pay by credit card, you would be well advised to do so. This would make the credit card company equally liable where you were not able to recover your costs from the builder.

More info here:
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/dealing-with-dodgy-tradesmen-or-builders/

Sponsored Links
I know what the general public are like......how they lie, how promises vanish, how they can turn on a five pence piece if it suits their cause, but you are at risk from appearing jaded by it by turning against the customer in almost all the posts here, .

I say it as I see it.
How many times is the correct advice given and totally ignored as the "customer" did not want to hear it?
Try the electrical forum where BAS has a reputation for being even more abrupt than myself.

Back to your comment, most here are after free advice ( which we give freely, excuse the pun). Others are here to try and "Stiff" their contractors. You can usually spot those wasters.
I agreed artex was dire, why have it replaced when a skim and some other works would make the place look better?
The work was shoddy, a chance should be given.
Was access given? Did the worked have to move items all the time?
List is endless, we have one side of a story.

OK, its been a while since my last update....

So, I got a copy or the original quote back from the insurers and it clearly states that the work involves removal & replacement of ceiling 3m x 2.5m, finish to match original.

Putting the finish aside, the guy has clearly broken the contract as he only replace 90cm x 3m ceiling. Some may argue if that was the only water damaged area, then why replace the entire ceiling? BUT, regardless of that, he didn't do what he lead myself and the insurers to believe. In fact, the insurers assessed the claim and paid out on the assumption that the entire ceiling was being replaced.

Anyway, the guy accepted my offer of £100 by means of an invoice which I sent a cheque for by return post (recorded delivery!). Haven't heard anything back from him and I hope that is the last of it, although he could still have intentions to take me to court. The fact thathe broke his side of the contract, I'd be surprised if he wants all of this to come out in court.

And, to reiterate - I am not trying to "pull a fast one" or to profit from this. At the end of the day, if he had done what he said he would do and did a good job, I would of happily paid him the full amount.

OK, its been a while since my last update....

So, I got a copy or the original quote back from the insurers and it clearly states that the work involves removal & replacement of ceiling 3m x 2.5m, finish to match original.

Putting the finish aside, the guy has clearly broken the contract as he only replace 90cm x 3m ceiling. Some may argue if that was the only water damaged area, then why replace the entire ceiling? BUT, regardless of that, he didn't do what he lead myself and the insurers to believe. In fact, the insurers assessed the claim and paid out on the assumption that the entire ceiling was being replaced.

Anyway, the guy accepted my offer of £100 by means of an invoice which I sent a cheque for by return post (recorded delivery!). Haven't heard anything back from him and I hope that is the last of it, although he could still have intentions to take me to court. The fact thathe broke his side of the contract, I'd be surprised if he wants all of this to come out in court.

And, to reiterate - I am not trying to "pull a fast one" or to profit from this. At the end of the day, if he had done what he said he would do and did a good job, I would of happily paid him the full amount.

Interesting read, just make sure next time you use him to keep a closer eye on him. :eek:

I doubt he can persue you any further, by sending an invoice and cashing your cheque, he has accepted your payment for the work, so case closed!

Yes, this was over 2 months ago and I haven't heard anything from the guy other than recieving his invoice which I paid immediately.

What pains me is that he came recoomended and usually recommendations are as good as anything. I shall be much more careful in future when taking recommendations and will ask for refereneces or to see previously completed work.[/code]

Because you have paid him, and he has cleared that payment, you have both accepted that the work was OK.

In my opinion, it was not OK, but the time to complain, was then, not now. You might as well give up on this guy, accept it as it is, or get someone else to fix it at your own expense.

Sponsored Links
Back