Unhappy with work done (ceiling repair) - what should I do

No one walks into people's houses and think, hey they've got artexed ceilings.
They will if they are thinking of buying it & have taste; believe me ;)

One ceiling that's Skimed flat, no one would notice and if they did, they would just think you haven't got round to updating the rest of the house.
That’s’ a “forward” way of looking at it I suppose if you want to wait another 20 years or so for it to come around again; a bit like tank tops & platform heels but wer'e still waiting for them. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Direct Line are involved because this is an insurance claim (for the dining room ceiling). He also replaced our porch ceiling which we agreed an additional £80 for (payig out of my own pocket).

I have offered him materials for dining room (£20) and £80 for porch despite not being fully satisfied with the job.

He has come back and threatened to tell my insurers that I am defrauding them by asking him to include porch cost in the quote and that the dining room was previously damaged - yes, there was a slight bow thats been there for 12 years that wasn't too bad and we lived with it. We has a leak in January that meant the ceiling needed replacing.

I will be discussing with my insurers tomorrow morning!

Sponsored Links
what I was getting at, are you paying because its less than your excess? If so,, why claim at all, as you'll be hammered next year...

If your insurance is paying then let them sort out the mess, or threaten them with a letter to the ombudsman

Cost to replace dining room ceiling £485 of which we have to pay £100 excess. We've got no cliams discount protection so hopefully next years premium wont be hit.

The porch was outside not part of the claim and I am paying out my own pocket.

The insurers sent me acheque to cover the claim and the contractor was of my chooisng (was recommended to me!).

So, if he accepts my offer of £100 (which I doubt he will) then I will still be sat here with the insurance payout - not that I intend to keep it. I will let insurers know the full details and see what they say as there is going to be further costs to get the job done properly.

they wont care if there are further costs, as they have paid u directly. in short its your problem. i feel for u, as i hate it when u get crap work done.

Looks like someone trying a scam to me.
The OP has had a high quote and then used the cheapest.

"Offering" any amount for materials when not a trades person and apparently not paying for services,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Even with a "contract" if it was that for this, you are breaking it.
By refusing to pay, refusing to allow repairs. And or refusing for further inspections.

All that matters really as you say is the LAW and your breaking it.

Tad defensive there, Alarm......I'm guessing you're in this position a lot with your customers, ie them not being happy with what you've done and refusing to pay what was agreed?

Not trying a scam at all - I just wanted my ceiling repaired as per the quote, but he obviously hasn't done so (replacing only part of ceiling and not matching the original finish being just 2 of the issues).

Regardless of your opion of Artex, the general concensus on here is that he has done a very bad job - someone even suggested that he doesn't know what he's doing. The same applies for the 2 independant assessments that have been carried out.
Is it therefore surprising that I have no confidence in the guy's ability to rectify the job? He hasn't exactly made a good impression with his first attempt.

Anyway, I have made him an offer that he doesn't seem to be in acceptance of. The next step should be for him to sue me, which I hope he does, because I have nothing to hide and believe that I have a strong defence against any claim.

BTW, can anyone provide an estimate for the cost of plasterboard to cover 2.5m x 0.9m and Artex to cover 2.5m x 3m? I was thinking that a ballpark of no more than £20, whereas he is claiming £40.

You have to legally give him the chance to fix it. Saying you have no faith in him is not a defence to this in court. You have nothing to lose by letting him try to put it right anyway.....if he fixes it you pay him as agreed and if not you are no worse off.

No one walks into people's houses and think, hey they've got artexed ceilings.
Well I did - and the patterns looked like they`d been done by an inmate of an asylum for Occupational Therapy :eek: . Just added it to the list of things to do - and bought the house :LOL: mainly because my son`s a plasterer ;)

If he takes you to court then odds on you will lose, the judge isn't going to be interested if your happy with the work, the fact is that he has done work and you wont pay him. You cant order a curry then not pay as it wasn't spicy enough for you! You chose this contractor and he was recommended, so surly you've seen his work? You took time to get references? Im sorry youve had a bad job done but this is the bones of it.

Sponsored Links
Back