Uni Laptop

Cheap laptops are rubbish. But a Mac and buy once.(y)

Buy a piece of underspecced overpriced, pile of sh**e more like. Go for a Dell won't go too far wrong (well actually you could but you'd be unlucky)

Sponsored Links
Chromebook with a FHD screen , decent battery length for watching Netflix and good spec for doing basic stuff.

You could probably install windows on it if you wanted to and get an additional SSD for back up (good idea)

Never used one so don't know how good they are in real life

Bigger the screen the better. I use a 17" and spending hours and hours doing Uni work on anything smaller will just screw the eyeballs. ;)

Thanks.
Keith...do you rate the 360 quid machine I listed?

Sponsored Links
for this budget I would see what you can get on Black Friday. A lot of returns get refurbed. But £300 is going to buy some thing new that will barely run. My FiL keeps buying cheapo bargains and after a few months they are unusable.

Have a look on the dell outlet store, lots of cheaper units with minor cosmetic damage.
https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?

Buy a piece of underspecced overpriced, pile of sh**e more like. Go for a Dell won't go too far wrong (well actually you could but you'd be unlucky)
My better half spent £780 quid on a Dell. Screen cracked within 2 months - apparently dodgy hinges and a well know issue affecting a lot of people. Dell refuse to fix. £780 for 2 months makes it more expensive that a mac that lasts 7+ years.

My better half spent £780 quid on a Dell. Screen cracked within 2 months - apparently dodgy hinges and a well know issue affecting a lot of people. Dell refuse to fix. £780 for 2 months makes it more expensive that a mac that lasts 7+ years.
Yes, one of my son's was a Dell and the hinges are so stiff the screen got damaged opening it.

I bet you are glad you asked -judging by the widely differing opinions :ROFLMAO:
:)
Macs are OOTQ. New: too expensive, used: out of date

I'll just have to take a gamble. Although Dell seem to be off the menu.

Toshiba are quite expensive too.

TBH, I got an Acer lappy years ago with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 and it's still a happy bunny with no issues. But the Lenovo one had trouble with the screen and then the hinges went.

Maybe I'll have another look at Acers.

Well.... they are a bit overpriced!
But they are a very good bit of kit and work was the reason I originally bought them. There simply wasn't anything else like it on the market for those who worked in certain fields.

I have to agree to an extent build wise they are good but my last macbook pro developed dead pixels quite early on, but just outside warranty, i passed it onto a family member and now part of the power circuit (u4600 chip) has failed. Ideally it's a new main board which more or less writes off an i7 SSD decent laptop. Power wise macbooks are good and yes i love the build quality. The reason alot of 'pro's adopted MAcbooks esp in the early days was more about the software(Quark,Adobe etc)/OS interface, and let's face it they've always looked 'cool'.
But some of the components are a bit sh't. My kick about laptop is a 13inch Lenovo with SSD/i3 does everything i need around the home/garage etc without worrying about it, for music and basic visual media content, alot of people overlook disk performance always ensure you have SSD. Anything CPU intensive i do use my macbook or more so desktop PC.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back