Uni Laptop

Sponsored Links
My wife's iPhones are glitchy junk, compared to my HTCs.

Definite degree of Fanboy-ism, when it comes to Apple.

Still, each can only speak as they find (y)

My son's ~£1300 iPhone x lasted just over 1 year, before being irreparable.

Sponsored Links
AMD produce some truely awesome chips these days. Don't waste your money on Office 365. When you get to uni, or wherever, you can get it so much cheaper on the educational licence once you have the institutions email available. Or use Libre Office. Getting an SSD or a great idea, one with an "NVMe" if possible, they are so frigging fast. Many of the laptops have an accessible port to stick more RAM in if required. Unless you're getting involved with video editing or SERIOUS number crunching (MATlab etc) you don't need a mega fast CPU. You only need a decent graphics chip if you want to nail it with performance 3D games... but not really the objective of a machine for study... right?!?

Anyone who tells you to go Mac without good cause (and there aren't many - "Publishing") is a preening charlatan.

If you want to buy cheap tat, go ahead. Landfill sites are full of useless cheap laptops.
Yeah, and a fair number are Apples.
Did you watch the video I posted or are you still blind in your adoration of their stuff?

Nozzle: Had kind of settled on AMD: you seem to get a bit more performance per pound than with intel.

My lad won't need 365. He has access to Office through an EDU licence.

SSD's are great, my PC boots off one, then I have HDD's for storage.

He will use it only for browsing, using Office and watching Netflix.

I know it's hard to get a half-decent spec on such a low budget, but needs must.

What do you think of the two PC's I listed earlier?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1165298

https://www.cclonline.com/product/h...ooth-microsoft-windows-10-7dc73ea-abu-297304/

Does anybody know if CCL is reliable?

Nozzle: Had kind of settled on AMD: you seem to get a bit more performance per pound than with intel.

My lad won't need 365. He has access to Office through an EDU licence.

SSD's are great, my PC boots off one, then I have HDD's for storage.

He will use it only for browsing, using Office and watching Netflix.

I know it's hard to get a half-decent spec on such a low budget, but needs must.

What do you think of the two PC's I listed earlier?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1165298

https://www.cclonline.com/product/h...ooth-microsoft-windows-10-7dc73ea-abu-297304/

Does anybody know if CCL is reliable?

You'll probably get the best deal from a refurb, plenty are around.

Yeah, and a fair number are Apples.
Did you watch the video I posted or are you still blind in your adoration of their stuff?
I've not watched the vid - will do later, but my partners Dell which has a known problem with the hinges, cracked the screen 3 months down the line. We can't get it fixed for free - they say we have to prove that it's not abuse!

So... I don't think poor customer service is just an apple thing..

My wife's iPhones are glitchy junk, compared to my HTCs.

Definite degree of Fanboy-ism, when it comes to Apple.

Still, each can only speak as they find (y)

Cult of apple is the worst thing about the company imo. It's embarrassing.

I am though a big fan of apple laptops. I've had 2 over 16 years and could do with a new one now. My first still works, just can't surf on it because of the outdated/unsupported browser but I kept it for the copy of photoshop I have on it. Macs are reliable, I've never had one go wrong until the end of it's life, easy to use, intuitive (which is why a lot of their user-friendly features were copied) and a great bit of kit if have any of the arts/design as a job. They are quite fool-proof.

Never had an iphone, not interested in spending silly money for a phone. That really is to me a fanboy thing. A phone you call, check emails, surf and send texts. Pretty much all phones will do that just fine for a fraction of the price.

I also bought an ipod shuffle, 1st generation in 2005. It's still going strong. Money well spent!

I've not watched the vid - will do later, but my partners Dell which has a known problem with the hinges, cracked the screen 3 months down the line. We can't get it fixed for free - they say we have to prove that it's not abuse!

So... I don't think poor customer service is just an apple thing..
I get that. I was just making the point that for the ultra-high premium you pay for Apple stuff, you expect a top-whack service and warranty.

Look at Lexus. OK, it's a posh Toyota, but you get treated like royalty when you walk in the dealer.

I get that. I was just making the point that for the ultra-high premium you pay for Apple stuff, you expect a top-whack service and warranty.

Look at Lexus. OK, it's a posh Toyota, but you get treated like royalty when you walk in the dealer.
You never mentioned the level of sucking up required in your opening post, sorry. If it's adulation you're after dont buy a Mac. You will get many more sycophantic ego massages from your multiple visits to Currys with your budget laptops.(y)

You never mentioned the level of sucking up required in your opening post, sorry. If it's adulation you're after dont buy a Mac. You will get many more sycophantic ego massages from your multiple visits to Currys with your budget laptops.(y)

Or go into a creepy Apple store where they make you feel like, "You're not cool enough to be in here" But feel free to try to be cool by buying on of our vastly, form over function shineys, oh and buy an Apple care package too, for the price of a serviceable laptop, not that we'll honour it.

Or go into a creepy Apple store where they make you feel like, "You're not cool enough to be in here" But feel free to try to be cool by buying on of our vastly, form over function shineys, oh and buy an Apple care package too, for the price of a serviceable laptop, not that we'll honour it.

Can't say I've ever felt not cool enough, or an apple store to be creepy. Must be you! :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back