Unidentified object in bathroom

F

faycat

Hi

We have a rectangular [very narrow] bathroom. The window is in one of the short sides of the rectangle. Above the window and across the whole width of the bathroom [approx 125 cm] there is a big tank [?]. It had been boxed in by the previous owners. When we pulled off some of the wood to have a look, part of it seems to be made of metal and part of it sounds solid when you tap it. No idea what is inside and we are reluctant to try to smash it open in case it's something horrible!!

Any ideas what it could be?
Any advice about how to get rid of it?

P.S. Our house is a 1880 stone mid terrace.
The boiler is in the small bedroom.

Sponsored Links
A defunct galvanised steel tank with a dead santa inside or full of loot.
Make sure no connections are in place and the tank is empty then you will have to cut it up to get throught the loft hatch
Pete

A defunct galvanised steel tank with a dead santa inside or full of loot.
Make sure no connections are in place and the tank is empty then you will have to cut it up to get throught the loft hatch
Pete

Thanks so much for your reply. Can I just ask what you mean about getting it through the loft hatch? We have a loft hatch at the top of the stairs but do you mean that the tank goes into the loft? Also how do you suggest we "cut it up"? What tools would I use? Thanks for your trouble! :)

I think you should post a pic before doing anything

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean it is in the bathroom its self.

Check there is no live water connections to/from it and with some strong help, lift it down from wall and dispose of it, as long as it isn't an old asbestos tank :eek:

But the OP has said nothing about pipes coming from it :rolleyes:

Could be an internal gutter :idea:

I'm trying to upload a picture but it's not easy....will be as quick as possible.

Yes it's in the bathrooom above the window.

Save the pics in photobucket or similar then copy and paste the img tags

Thanks for info about uploading photos.....didn't see it in time so did it on Flickr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back