United Utilities service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Yesterday UU came to our street and dug a hole up. It seems that there is a leak under the footpath.
The funny thing is that the council have just renewed the footpath and now it has been dug up :rolleyes:

They buggered off after a while and the trench was not filled up, there is also still some water.
They seem to have fitted a piece of blue pipe onto the existing one by using some sort of compression fitting either side of the new length.

Does anyone know how long they have under their standards of service to complete the repair and reinstate the surface?

I tried their call center but as usual i got nowhere with them....

Sponsored Links
their isn't a set time.
if its not your path its not your problem.
stop being a pain in the backside.

Generally I think it is different departments who handle the gas leak/repair and then the making good of the 'area of destruction'

I would guess that as long as they fix the leak/fault within a certain time period then they are covered by their contractual agreements.

their isn't a set time.

:rolleyes:

are you the one that uses 103838 different nicknames on the forums?

I remember the screed thread in which you were ridiculed by several other plumbers on these boards.

You cannot be taken seriously.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how long they have under their standards of service to complete the repair and reinstate the surface?
The responsibilities of public utilities for street works is set out in the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

70 Duty of undertaker to reinstate

(1) It is the duty of the undertaker by whom street works are executed to reinstate the street.

(2) He shall begin the reinstatement as soon after the completion of any part of the street works as is reasonably practicable and shall carry on and complete the reinstatement with all such dispatch as is reasonably practicable.

(3) He shall before the end of the next working day after the day on which the reinstatement is completed inform the street authority that he has completed the reinstatement of the street, stating whether the reinstatement is permanent or interim.

(4) If it is interim, he shall complete the permanent reinstatement of the street as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event within six months (or such other period as may be prescribed) from the date on which the interim reinstatement was completed; and he shall notify the street authority when he has done so.

(5) The permanent reinstatement of the street shall include, in particular, the reinstatement of features designed to assist people with a disability.

(6) An undertaker who fails to comply with any provision of this section commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) In proceedings against a person for an offence of failing to comply with subsection (2) it is a defence for him to show that any delay in reinstating the street was in order to avoid hindering the execution of other works, or other parts of the same works, to be undertaken immediately or shortly thereafter.

The Act also covers Materials, Workmanship etc and gives the Highway Authority (usually the local council) powers to ensure the work is done.

their isn't a set time.

:rolleyes:

are you the one that uses 103838 different nicknames on the forums?

I remember the screed thread in which you were ridiculed by several other plumbers on these boards.

You cannot be taken seriously.

get your facts right, and stop worrying about everyone elses business

Its normally other contractors that come along and fill the hole back up.... normally within 5 days or so from experience.... stop worrying, they have obviously been and fixed some fualt on the supply... better them doing that than not doing anything... calm down.

:D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back