Universal av / cd adaptor use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My android box came with a power plug and I use that downstairs fine. I wish to sometimes take box to my bedroom though but because wires in tv unit are not very accessible I was wondering if I can use this spare adaptor I already have in my house for power

I already have a spare hdmi so that's fine

But I don't want to damage the box if adaptor is not suitable?

Can somebody kindly explain what the + and - switch on top left is for and what I should keep on? "Polarity sw"

And then what number "volt change sw" should be on the adaptor? Ranging from off - 12

My android box says 5v at back of box....which obviously isn't an option on the adaptor

If not suitable and cause surge/voltage issues or whatever I just won't use

Sponsored Links
"Polarity" changes whether the centre pin of the power plug is positive or negative.

"Voltage" changes the output voltage.

The adapter you have is probably unregulated, which means that on a low load even the 3 or 4.5 volt settings the voltage might rise considerably above the 5V required by the android thing. On the other hand, the adapter is only 5 watt and the android thing might need rather more power at peak load.

Probably better to get a proper 5V power supply suitable for the thing.

According to its specification, how many Amps does your "Android box" require?

Sorry no spec for my box :(

"Polarity" changes whether the centre pin of the power plug is positive or negative.

so shall I keep on plus or minus?

And if I can't use this adaptor can anybody recommend another?

Sponsored Links
If you have a look at the original Android box power supply you'll find the voltage; the current, and the polarity of the power plug.

I have a similar box. I stress similar so what my power supply is labelled as might not be appropriate for yours. Do check your own power supply...

Voltage: 5V DC

Current: 2A (2 amps)

Polarity: Centre pin +ve, outer barrel -ve.

From the look of it your switchable power supply the closest voltage is 4.5V, but I'm more concerned by the current: 300mA is the same as saying 0.3A. That's just not enough to power the box under heavy load.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You're welcome

Use the Thanks button, top right of each post :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back