Safe to use three-way adaptor to "solve" logistics problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Our joiner has just completed a TV cabinet w/ bookshelves in our alcove. Unfortunately, while he has accommodated a hole at the top (for cables) it is now no longer possible to plug any reasonably modern plug into the standard UK 2x socket as the bottom shelf sits flush underneath the socket!

Is is safe (perhaps temporarily) to "solve" this by using a 2x or 3x UK adaptor - a low-profile model of which does fit - so that I can then plug a (surge protected) power strip (as I think they are called now) into the top of the adaptor.

Note: I am not plugging any additional plugs into the 3x UK adaptor, merely using it to have something which I can then plug the 4x power strip into. (The power strip then being used for TV, AppleTV, etc.)

I've heard horror stories about not daisy chaining adaptors together, but I am not adding any additional plugs to the 3x UK adaptor, just using it to solve logistics of reach.

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks, Steve.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
can't see the pic

you could cut a slot in the shelf with a multicutter or jigsaw.

can't see the pic

you could cut a slot in the shelf with a multicutter or jigsaw.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah - I suspect I will have to (or, rather, maybe ask him to come back and do so; it's a pretty rookie error).

(I did try to add a link to a (public) Google Drive image but it wouldn't render - as you saw!)

Thanks again,

Steve.

you can insert a pic to your reply by "copy and paste" or by the "upload a file" button.

Sponsored Links
if you're having a pro back, a more elegant solution would be to re-fit the shelf a few inches lower.

Some cabinets (especially kitchens) have slide-in shelf supports, so you can pull the shelf out, and multiple ready-drilled holes in the side so you can refit the shelf supports at a higher or lower position.

If you are in the UK, "daisy chaining" multiway strips together will not overload the socket, thanks to our wonderful and unique fused plug.

IMG_3150.jpeg

show us underneath of the shelf, please, including any batten, brackets or clips.

show us underneath of the shelf, please, including any batten, brackets or clips.

Ha! I’d love to. It’s a false bottom (not a shelf per se) at about (top of) skirting board height. It seems our good (but a little over-zealous) decorator has managed to seal it in at the front so it no longer lifts!

Thanks for all the help!

Btw. The “turn it upside down” sounds like it might be the best option? But in the interim is what I have in the photo safe? (Based on your UK fused remark).

Steve.

yes, but have a look at your adaptor, see if it includes a fuse (between the pins)

if it does, it will limit the current through all the outlets to a nominal 13Amps, no matter how many things you plug in.

more than enough for all the TVs, hifi, satellite decoders etc you could reasonably desire.

yes, but have a look at your adaptor, see if it includes a fuse (between the pins) .... if it does, it will limit the current through all the outlets to a nominal 13Amps, no matter how many things you plug in.
I think that would be moot, wouldn't it, because ...
... Note: I am not plugging any additional plugs into the 3x UK adaptor, merely using it to have something which I can then plug the 4x power strip into. (The power strip then being used for TV, AppleTV, etc.)
... given that the 'power strip' will presumably incorporate a 13A fuse?

Kind Regards, John

I think that would be moot, wouldn't it, because ...
... given that the 'power strip' will presumably incorporate a 13A fuse?

Kind Regards, John

yes, but maybe he'll plug three strips into an adaptor one day....

Ye of little faith :) He did explicitly write (his emphasis, not mine - changed from italics to red because of the vagaries of the forum's quoting) ...

Kind Regards, John

Ha! Thanks both of you. Rest assured, I intend to use the 3x only as means to allow the other plug (for the power strip) access. And, yes - while the 3x is (I think) from the dark ages (well, 1995), the power strip is an all-singing, dancing, “smart” WiFi job (with surge protection). So I’d hope they managed to squeeze in a fuse among that lot! ;)

Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back