Safe to use three-way adaptor to "solve" logistics problem?

yes, but maybe he'll plug three strips into an adaptor one day....

Thanks for looking out for me JohnD ;)

Given most folk wouldn’t even have posted to this forum - to ask those with far more actual knowledge what they thought -
I think it’s a safe bet that I won’t.

(I can’t speak for the wife though!)

Thanks, Steve.

Note to self: don’t assume joiners have common sense.

Sponsored Links
If the 3x adaptor cube has no fuse then dispose of it immediately.

Fit the socket upside down as others said.
I've seen it done in hairdressers where they feed the wires through a hole in the counter and plug it upside down so the wire is not stressed.

If the 3x adaptor cube has no fuse then dispose of it immediately.

You have me worried now. I bought 2x brand new replacements for belt and braces:
EC5C4581-2DDA-49CC-B977-4A1368B0D112.jpeg

These - HomeBerg 2 Way Double Plug Adaptor - Multi Plugs Extension Sockets Adapter - UK 3 Pin Socket Extensions 250V 13 Amp - Power Extender Multiplug Block for Kitchen, Office, PC, TV, Indoor Lighting https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MKY8...abc_5XG1SFW2Y6B5XGZSSPE4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Can I safety assume that a fuse is included? (There is conflicting info in the Amazon comments (as usual!)). Picture attached.

Thanks, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Double adapters are NOT required by the standard to be fused and often are not, triple adapters are required to be fused.

If there is no fuseholder visible there is probably no fuse.

With only one item plugged into the adaptor there is no real problem, and TV etc use very little power.

DO NOT FIT SOCKET UPSIDE DOWN although there is nothing wrong fitting sockets upside down, it also means the plug is upside down, and the cable entry ends up on the top, so anything dropped can go into the plug, so sockets should not be fitted upside down.

DO NOT FIT SOCKET UPSIDE DOWN although there is nothing wrong fitting sockets upside down, it also means the plug is upside down, and the cable entry ends up on the top, so anything dropped can go into the plug, so sockets should not be fitted upside down.
Hmmmmm. I doubt that I'm the only person who has occasionally fitted sockets upside down.

Things like this often have 'keyhole slots' on the back (as shown below) so that they can be attached vertically to a wall. Do you think they should be 'banned'? ...

upload_2021-5-5_13-28-55.png

upload_2021-5-5_13-29-35.png

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I initially wondered about that. However, I then realised that what he meant (far from clearly!) is that there is no problem with the socket, per se, being upside down, provided one doesn't plug anything into it ( :) ) - but he believes that there is a problem if, because the socket it upside down, the plug is also upside down.

However, see my response to suggestion that above!

Kind Regards, John

I was taught not to fit sockets upside down because the weight of the flex could begin to pull the plug out of the socket.

You could swap the socket for one that has the pin apertures moulded higher up the socket face. These sockets are designed for plugs that have a flexi-tail.

Don't know which brands are designed this, but I remember CEF used to do one (M2?).

I was taught not to fit sockets upside down because the weight of the flex could begin to pull the plug out of the socket.
I suppose that is a theoretical argument, although I imagine that it would have to be a pretty heavy cable for it to be a significant issue. As for people 'tugging it out', I doubt that it makes a lot of difference 'which way up' the plug is.

In any event, if I had to choose between that theoretical risk and having a very sharp bend in the cable where it exited from the plug, I think I know which I would chose as being "the lesser of the evils"!

Kind Regards, John

Like I say, just get an M2 or similarly designed socket and you can have it the right way up.

Does anyone know any other brands similarly designed?

Last edited:
Just looked it up. Compare a white Logic Plus socket with a white M2 socket.
Thanks. There clearly is an appreciable difference but looks to be a little under 1.5cm - which might not greatly reduce the sharpness of the bend in the cable where it exits the plug (particularly the moulded plug which the OP has illustrated in post #6, which has a pretty long, probably fairly 'rigid', 'sleeve' sticking out of it).

In fact, the Logic Plus one you have illustrated seems to have an unusually 'low' positioning of the pin apertures (which are, for most makes, roughly {vertically} central on the faceplate), and what the OP already has (right-hand photo below), which he says gives inadequate room for his plug, is probably closer to the MT one than the Logic Plus one. (left to right: Logic Plus, M2, OP's) ...

upload_2021-5-5_15-35-2.png
upload_2021-5-5_15-37-33.png
upload_2021-5-5_15-40-34.png

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-5_15-35-20.png
    upload_2021-5-5_15-35-20.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 54
  • upload_2021-5-5_15-36-8.png
    upload_2021-5-5_15-36-8.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 57
With only one item plugged into the adaptor there is no real problem, and TV etc use very little power.

as the op is using an extension lead with a moulded on plug how can something get in to the plug??
I think I have two sockets mounted upside down for neatness in cable routing and at least one sideways for the same reason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back