Universal Column Calculation (UC Formula)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Would anyone know where I could obtain information regarding max load levels for Universal Columns for free please?

The UC would be:

152 x 152 x 23 over a 9ft span

and

152 x 152 x 39 over a 9ft span

Any info would greatly received.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Acting as a beam, or column? UDL, point loads, destabilising loads, fixity at ends? All these factors affect the total load capacity.

Sponsored Links
Not sure there is any such thing as a 152 UC 39, they're made in weights of 23, 30 and 37 kg/m. Corus are doing a couple of higher weights of 44 and 51 kg/m in ther 'advanced' sections, but they're not that widespread yet.

This is an odd question to be asking - there's only going to be a few mm in depth difference between the two. Is it the weight diffference you're worried about?

Yep, if anyone knows somewhere to get them done for free, let me know so that I don't have to do any more in future!

With regards to section size, last year I collected what I thought were 2 102 x 178 UB's. When measuring to install them in the opening, they turned out to be 92 x 182's and not in any UK tables.

It turns out they were some weird European sized beams! They went in just the same though :rolleyes:

What are you doing with safe load tables, Woody??! :LOL:

I just looked in my TEDDS software and it's got all the swls in there. Mind you, that software cost me £3k-odd...it's in my steel designer's manual as well and that cost me £60-odd; my structural steel handbook £40-odd... :rolleyes:

Whoops, 39 was a typo should be been 30 (152 x 152 x 30). Thanks Shytalkz most helpfull info.

With regards to section size, last year I collected what I thought were 2 102 x 178 UB's. When measuring to install them in the opening, they turned out to be 92 x 182's and not in any UK tables.

It turns out they were some weird European sized beams! They went in just the same though

Woody, why did they go in just the same ? How did you know what grade of steel they were etc ?

These threw me for a bit as, we had to do the prep work almost to the mm as these had to tally up with an existing floor with just 22mm to lay floorboards across

We had prep'd the bearings, opening height, spacers and bolts for a 178 x 102 steel and things did not tally up.
It just never occurred to me to measure them as I was not expecting them to be anything other than 178's

They had to go in as we had done all the demo work - plus already placed the beams between the acrows, so thay could not come out either!

So I put them in, then done a bit of calculating based on the section size, and they came out a bit stronger than 178's so after that, it was safe to remove the acrows. I just assumed a grade 43 steel and measured the section sizes.

You mean to tell me, Woodster, that you calculated the inertias, elastic moduli and radii of gyration from first principles????!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back