Unknown copper pipe underground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody, I have been digging ready for the foundations to a new porch and have come accross a 15mm copper pipe. This is running the full length of one of the trenches. I am not sure what it might be for and am thinking that it is not in use anymore.

I know that it is not our water supply as this is a blue plastic pipe. I would not have thought it would be gas as it seems too small at 15mm.

Would anybody know what this ppe might be and of any ways in which to test if it is actually live or dead.

Many thanks.[/b]

Sponsored Links
You could use a listening device on the pipe particularly in the morning or at any other high usage time.

15mm soft copper was widely used as water supply to domestic properties, i've ripped up quite a few. :oops:

Thanks for the reply. 15mm just seems really small for a main supply pipe. When you say they used to use it, this might mean it is now not in use and the plastic pipe is now in use.

Would it be OK to wrap the pipe in someting and just concrete over it?

Many thanks.

Just because it was used in the past does not mean that it is not live. There are still trillions of live lead mains about.

Would it be OK to wrap the pipe in someting and just concrete over it?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Wrap it and bury it. Really wouldnt advise cutting into it unless you are positive it is dead! 15mm is standard size water supply for 3/4 bed home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back