Unlevel door lining

Found these-
View attachment 220095 View attachment 220096

Is the spray adhesive for spraying on surface before honing? What's the 3 - 1 for as well?

There was a warning about selling to under 18s for adhesive, is it dangerous to inhale require a mask or gloves when using (why such a warning)?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonse...9S8f_O942ecpvY4FdvBoCl1AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll buy the setting device and just push the chisel or blade back and forth to sharpen it I guess not too much to it than that.

My Jack plane and block plane although work are jolty and either take off but too much to nothing and blade gets pushed back inside...really want to get sharp too. Will practice honing on an old chisel first though

That combination stone should be ok (after grinding when a chisel needs it) if you find one that is fine one side and a bit rougher the other. look for indian whetstone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norton-Ind...t=&hvlocphy=9046403&hvtargid=pla-960438058047

but good info from jobnknock about the glass!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A nice smoothing plane and block plane there shame they have not been looked after lol I've got the same smoothing plane - cleaner lol Adjustable mouth on the block plane for planing such as laminates.

They feel quite sharp and cut the paper or score it. I'll keep at it now I have the grinding stone. Backwards and forwards on guide.
It matters naught that they cut paper - they need to be able to at least cut softwood

A joiner said he uses -

Smoothing plane, rebate plane, bullnose plane, block plane.

I have a blockplane and either a smoothing or Jack plane (see in picture) as I'm not sure which.
Those planes are a Stanley no.4 smoothing plane (9in long sole, 2in wide blade) and an Irwin-Record no. 60-1/2 adjustable mouth low angle (12° or so) block plane respectively. At this stage I don't think you need any more. I'd suggest fettling these, learning how to sharpen the blades and getting used to them before going off at a tangent and getting any more planes. I doubt that you'd find much use, as yet, for any form of bull nose or rebate plane.

In general I've advised apprentices that they absolutely need a low angle block plane (adjustable mouth nice but not essential - micro adjuster for the blade essential) but that a smoother or jack plane is less of an immediate need. The smoother or jack can equally be used to shoot in doors, trim swollen doors, etc. Personal preference means that I have always used a jack for the job - I find the extra length and weight suits me better. For comparison a no.5 jack is 14in long with a 2in iron

Modern brands? Unlike others I don't like cheap no name tools (too much of a lottery) and even the two remaining big names, Record and Stanley aren't producing planes as good as they once did - especially so in the Records. Best usable straight out of the box have to be Lie-Nielsen and Veritas (with Clifton close behind) but they are extremely expensive (an L-N #4 will run you £300, a #5 about £325 - but neither will make you a better joiner!). The best "medium priced" plane I've come across are the various versions of Quangsheng (various spellings) but even they aren't that cheap (£150 for a #4, £170 for a #5) and they generally require the back of the blade to be lapped flat (can be hollow) and honed before use but are otherwise extremely good. They are streets ahead of many modern lower cost planes

If your planes are a bit jolty I'd suggest that first and foremost the irons may not be sharp enough and then secondly you might have too much set on the blade (I.e. you are trying to take too thick a cut). A hand plane is NOT like a power planer and will absolutely NEVER take a 1mm thick cut in a single pass. To get 1mm with a hand plane takes 5 or more passes. You can't measure the blade projection to gauge the cut, either. What you do is to back the iron right off until it is just inside the body (i.e. no projection). Turn the plane upside down, sole upwards, front towards you and sight down the sole of the plane. Advance the iron slowly using the adjuster until it is just visible (you'll see a black line). Make a test cut. Not advanced enough? Give it some more set and try again until it is just cutting and then give it maybe an extra 1/2 turn. Adjustments aren't measured in mm - they are in microns!

If it is still juddering sfter that I'd consider other moves. Are you actually planing with the grain, not against it (do you know the difference?) for example?

Edit: Other thoughts that occurred to me: in the case of the block plane is just how tight is the mouth set? In the case of the smoother, does the back iron sit tight to the plane iron at the bottom and how far back from the edge is it? 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm? Also how tight is the lever cap? It needs to be tight enough to hold the iron properly

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice smoothing plane and block plane there shame they have not been looked after lol I've got the same smoothing plane - cleaner lol Adjustable mouth on the block plane for planing such as laminates.
How would I 'service 'them? Take out blade and wet dry paper to remove rust then 3 in1 oil? Yeah what is purpose of adjustable mouth?

Is the big plane a smoothing plane not jack plane? Or are they the same

Sponsored Links
Only 3 more pages

Come on boys, you know you can do this!!
You do realise, don't you, that I am cutting and pasting this into a Word document - and that next year when the book comes out you'll have to pay £19.95 for the privilege
.....:):sneaky:

How would I 'service 'them? Take out blade and wet dry paper to remove rust then 3 in1 oil?
It's often referred to as "fettling" a plane. I actually have a Record #060-1/2 block plane here, bought for one of the apprentices, so I'll start going through that tomorrow so you have the steps.

Yeah what is purpose of adjustable mouth?
The adjustable mouth isn't strictly necessary when a block plane is used for its' original function of "blocking in", or trimming end grain, such as flush trimming the exposed end of protruding tenons (such as when making up a traditional mortised door, for example) and and trimming end grain on mouldings (e.g. a piece of beading that is fractionally too long or where the angle needs to be altered slightly, or for that matter adjusting a mitre joint on a skirting), etc. For those purposes the grain will tend to break up easily and generally won't clog the mouth of the plane.

When you start to use a block plane along the grain for tasks such as rounding over a door edge putting a small chamfer on a piece, etc (another words, as a sort of bench plane) the big open mouth of a non-adjustable mouth block plane can be at a serious disadvantage especially when working rowed timber (such as sapele where the grain changes direction all over the place), awkward timbers (such as pippy oak, quilted sycamore, etc) or where there is a need to work against the direction of the grain. Even knotty pine can tear out with a wide mouths plane.The adjustable mouth gives you the ability to reduce the mouth opening so that there is a limit on how thick a shaving the tool can take and so makes it possible to handle awkward materials with minimal tear out.

16132392236296988546501454008579.jpg

Above: An old Stanley #60-1/2 adjustable mouth low angle block plane (black), a modern Irwin-Record #60-1/2 block plane (blue) and a Wood River #65 knuckle lever cap adjustable mouth low angle block plane
Below: Relative sizes - #7 jointer #4 smoother and Irwin-Record #60-1/2 block plane

1613239261051886070891063186851.jpg

Block planes are typically small enough (3 to 7in long) to be used in one hand. In site trimming and installation this is a major advantage over a smoothing plane which requires a 2 -handed grip meaning that block planes are absolutely essential for any type of joinery installation where the work is not clamped in position

Is the big plane a smoothing plane not jack plane? Or are they the same
No. Smoothing planes (sizes #2, #3, #4 and #4-1/2 - you will probably only ever see sizes #3 or #4) are all designed to do adjustment and cleaning up tasks on the bench when making up wooden items. They are all progressively larger than each other, a #2 being about 7in long with a 1-5/8in cutter whilst a #4-1/2 is a large 10in long x 2-3/8in wide cutter. The #2s were sort of "dolls house joinery" planes and are too small for most people to hold, #3 is more of a cabinetmaking size (think of it as almost a block plane with a 2 hand grip), #4 (which was once by far the most widely sold metal plane) is a good size for general bench work and its' smaller size and lower weight than the #4-1/2 makes it better suited to highly mobile site work (e.g adjusting sash frames), and finally there's the #4-1/2, which is a hulking brute of a plane, but where the weight and heft can give advantages when working on larger joinery items, especially in the shop. The #4 and #4-1/2 can be used as general planes, doing much of the work of jack planes, but the shorter sole length does make them less accurate when longer straight edges need to be produced (the longer the sole of the plane the longer straight piece you can make - think about how straight a door stile needs to be). In general you set a smoothing plane up with a straight ground blade where the corners of the blade are given a slight radius to reduce the tendency to leave "tramlines" on the finished surface

16132354944433878353034254382787.jpg

Above (l to r): #4-1/2, #4 and #3 smoothing planes
Below: Showing the difference in size between a #4-1/2 (bottom) and a #4 smoother

16132357475814305772647472114207.jpg

Jack planes are bigger and heavier than smoothers. They are "Jack's of all trades" and can work as short jointer planes (on shorter stock), as big, albeit heavy, smoothers and as scrub planes.The two numbers you'll see associated with the name "jack plane" are #5 and #5-1/2. #5 planes are 14in long with a 2in cutter whilst the heavier #5-1/2 is 15in long x 2-3/8in. The #5 is probably handier on site where weight is an issue, but both are good for tasks such as trimming doors (straight cutter), small on-site jointing jobs, rough planing or scrub work (where a chambered, or round edged, cutter is used instead of the standard cutter and the material is worked on alternative diagonals to reduce the thickness quickly before the surface is smoothed flat - this is hard work and a power plane is much preferable).

16132360749171688307657942764654.jpg

Above: #5 (front) and #5-1/2 jack planes
Below: Showing the relative sizes
16132361025548771410912182011052.jpg

Below: Showing the relative sizes of a #5-1/2 (top) #5 (middle) and #4 (bottom) planes. It should be obvious that the jack planes will be able to produce straighter edges than the smoother

1613236352473437234150887063399.jpg

Given a choice I carry a block plane and a #5 for general carpentry

Does that help?

16132377492422884929382451904593.jpg

Above and below: Endpiece - a #7 jointer plane (back above, right below), the #5-1/2 jack and the #4 smoother (front above, left below). Whilst you can do shorter jointing jobs with a jack plane, the jointer is obviously better suited to the task. The jointer is pretty much a one trick pony and the size and weight make it too heavy for prolonged use. They are also a bit fragile for site use
16132378093596756954247442266114.jpg

Note: Before anyone picks me up on it, the plane sizes quoted are the original Stanley plane sizes and have been used for clarity. Leonard Bailey and Stanley were the originators of all these designs.

As a matter of record the bench planes used were (in order of increasing size):

- an early Record #03-SS smoother (#3 size)
- a WWII finish Record #04-SS smoother (#4 size)
- an early 1930s Marples M.4-1/2 smoother (#4-1/2 size)
- a late 1950s period Record #05-SS jack plane (#5 size)
- a WWII period Millers-Falls #15 jack plane (#5-1/2 size)
- an early WWII finish USA Stanley #7 jointer plane

All these tools are unrenovated (at present), hence the odd bit of rust here and there, but whilst none of these tools is available on the market any longer, the newest bench plane being at least 55 years old, modern equivalents of reasonable quality of all of these planes are still available

The block planes are (largest to smallest):

- a Wood River #65 (Wood River is made by Quangsheng), my site block plane
- a modern Irwin-Record #060-1/2 (wider than the original Stanley)
- an older (probably 1960s) Stanley #60-1/2

Both the I-R and the Wood River planes are currently (2021) in production whilst Stanley now makes an updated version of the #60-1/2 called the 5-12-060

Apologies for the quality of the pictures. I am a better joiner than I am a photographer, honestly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, didn't see it. But then I'm a joiner and I tend to stick to what I do for a living... Not saying it wouldn't interest me if I had such a drive, only I don't...

I'm not going to moralise, Andy. The guy has asked for help, so I'm trying to give it. Hopefully along the way others will get something out of my efforts, too

JK, I agree with you regarding helping someone be it a diyer or tradesman. But what I don't think is fair, is some coming on here asking for advice and then charging customers pretending to be a tradesman.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back