unsafe installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

this post maybe should be in the CC section but as I'm no longer registered I can't get in there! If a moderator feels like moving it there I just hope I'll get to see any replies there might be. I'm not asking for tips as I won't be doing any gas work but want my facts correct before proceeding with any notifications.

I lapsed my CORGI registration many many years ago as I didn't need it for work any more and it's been so long I can't remember half the rules that took me so long to learn!

Anyway, I've just visited a neighbours property to carry out some work in her garden and can't quite believe what I've seen and been told.

She has had a wall mounted combi boiler fitted in a brick built shed that's directly attached to the house but no connecting door. It's running on LPG and is connected to a 45kg bottle outside the door. As I'm a bit concerned about the installation and my neighbours ignorance of the implications I'd appreciate any registered installers out there to confirm or put me straight regarding the following points.

The property is victorian and has never had a gas installation prior to this one.

She's been told by the installer that he doesn't need to be registered because the bottles are portable. I think this is nonsense, it's not a portable heater.

From the bottle mounted regulator the supply pipe is 15mm copper, no flexi hose at all. Surely it needs a hose to allow for changing over bottles as the copper will eventually fracture with repeated bending? (I never did the LPG module back in the day but this is how every bottled LPG installation is in France)

Pipe not sleeved through brick wall.

Naturally no sign off paperwork, no instructions left with owner.

No notification for building control. I'm assuming that new gas installations need this now and should be the responsibility of the installer?

I think the flue terminal location is wrong as it's tight in an internal corner of 2 brick walls but no installation manual left so no way to check the manufacturers dims.

The installer told her that if she ever gets mains gas installed she can run this boiler with no adjustments at all. Putting all the defects of the installation to one side, is there a boiler that can adjust itself to the supplied pressure and calorific value automatically? Sounds like star wars to an old git used to nuts and bolts like me!!

I'd appreciate some input from registered installers before I advise my neighbour on the most appropriate course of action.

Sponsored Links
He was a cowboy of the worst kind, tell her to get gas safe out to inspect it. It's free.

It's definitely one that needs reporting to gas safe. You do need to be registered to work on LPG. From your description I would classify the installation as At Risk and shut it off.

I would advise her to shut the gas off at the bottle and report the installer to gas safe ASAP. This guy needs stopping before he kills someone.

Sponsored Links
How do you even terminate a copper pipe to a regulator??

My mum has a 4 bottle automatic change over system, ideal for her, as it's very unlikely she would run out.

She was on a two bottle auto change over before and was always running out.

One bottle won't last very long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back