Unsolicited work on roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I came home from taking my wife to hospital to find a guy on my roof, he was there without my knowledge or consent and He is a person I would never ever have work done by. He had by this time lifted two rows of roof tiles cut the lead pipe out rolled the lead sheeting back and cut it. He had also cut the barge boarding between the houses

I have a joint responsibility for a drain off a small lead flat area between my neighbors and our roof. Having a joint respnsibility means I also have say in what contractor is use. This guy is supposed to be a friend of my neighbour he has not provided a written estimate in fact my neighbour did not get any estimates other than this verbal one.
The short of it is I do not like the work done, He is charging my neighbour £800 for this work and has turned a simple job into something more expensive and I don't think he has the skills to put it right

I was told by a local builder roofer who has worked on these house the drain replacement should cost no more than £250-£300. I have shown local builder roofer the pictures and he says I should let him finish then get someone to inspect the work done

He has altered the appearance of the roof and the roof drainage it is now going to run off the edgae into a short gutter and drop pipe.

I don't want to fall out with the neighbor but I am really annoyed about this and the way it has been done[ Some images in my image file

Sponsored Links
From the pictures it looks like Acrypol or similar painted on yhe box gutter which is a temporary repair product. where the lead turns down to the gutter it needs lead burnt gussets to be burnt in .

It does not look like a very good job

thanks palaceray foryour reply
I am really concerned about the joint across the flat roof we live in a very wet windy area in southern scotland I think that water will creep under the overlapped lead and this should have been lead welded along with the fillets, it is a flat area with less than 10 degrees run off.
I doubt if it is painted with anything more tha a grey primer thoug..
He has been back today I hope he doesn't think it is finished.
cheers greg

Agree the fella should never have been near your property without your permission.
Dont know the length of the gutter or the code of lead he has used but as there is a join he should be using something like t-pren.

http://www.britishlead.co.uk/downloads/t_pren_gutter_expansion.pdf

Sheet lead at least code 5 for that area would cost more than the price your builder suggests it should have been.

Are you sharing the costs?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks alastairreid it is not so much a gutter but a small flat area about 50 inches by 30 inches with a run off of less than 10 degrees. It originally had a centre drain pipe that was leaking at the join between the sheet and pipe. The same guy had actually poked a hole in the pipe with stiff wire or similar and the tried to seal it with silicon, needless to say that did not work and result in the pipe blocking at a later date.
I saw the roof under the lead when he pulled it back it was very wet but no rot was present.
All this job needed originally was a new drain pipe lead welding in.

As to cost sharing had I been consulted by my neighbours I would have split cost but I would also have two or three estimates first. My neighbor did this on his own, no written estimate it was a friend of theirs. The neighbors had been told I did not want this contractor anywhere near my house as I have had trouble with him in the past.

Having said all that I feel sorry for my neighbours and may pay towards the bill when the job is finished properly.
I think that he has finished now but it is to dark for pictures, I have had a look but I think all he has done is added a short plastic gutter and drop pipe he was here one hour.

I am adding some more picture as to how the job has been finished, sorry they are a bit dark(it has rained all day)
images in my image file
regards to all
Thanks Greg

Agree with the others, looks like its had a coat of acropyl, short term fix.
The length of the lead gutter could have had a step in it.

If your going to pay half, get a proper job done first.

Is the job so bad that it should be re done,it is supposed to be a permanent repair or could it be saved and how?

thanks all

I think the cut section should be replaced with code 5 lead burned to the old with t print expansion joint if the bay is over 2m and turned into the gutter with lead burnt corners.

it is not so much a gutter but a small flat area about 50 inches by 30 inches

My apologies Greg i never read your post correctly, i never realised he was putting in a small patch.

The joint will need welded either way

800 quid! a bit on the steep side imo.

Hi thanks for you comments, I am not a roofing contractor and have only gleaned what information I can from the internet and trying to use common sense. The contractor can not or will not produce any evidence of any qualifications. My gut feeling tells me he is a cowboy and my neighbor only used him be cause he is personal friend of theirs. I obviously do not want him back on the roof.
Does anyone know how I should proceed now, please bear in mind I am an old age pensioner with limited income. I will try and add a picture of how the barge board should look.

Any help would be really appreciated
thanks Greg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back