Unstable pier and finial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a pier which is unstable as the pictures show and I wondered if we could use an epoxy resin to fix this in place safely? If not, what would be the best way to resolve this problem? The finial on the other pier was also wobbly and we lifted it off. How can we attach this securely please? Apologies for my lack of knowledge, I'm a doctor working with patients in crisis and so if you can be forgiving of this it would be appreciated. Life's tough enough at present.

IMG-8927.jpg

IMG-8931.jpg

IMG-8932.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oops. Best short-term fix is put that loose lump of pier on the ground inside the wall so it can't fall on someone. That front wall looks more recent than the path- whoever built it really should have done better.
Yes you could glue the bricks back together and glue the big ball thing on top but if one course has failed that badly is another going to do the same? Interesting difference in mortar colour between the bricks & the smear that was used on the topknot....is the mortar between the bricks very soft (if you twist a screwdriver into the mortar does it give)?

Oops. Best short-term fix is put that loose lump of pier on the ground inside the wall so it can't fall on someone. That front wall looks more recent than the path- whoever built it really should have done better.
Yes you could glue the bricks back together and glue the big ball thing on top but if one course has failed that badly is another going to do the same? Interesting difference in mortar colour between the bricks & the smear that was used on the topknot....is the mortar between the bricks very soft (if you twist a screwdriver into the mortar does it give)?
Thanks oldbutnotdead, the mortar is rock solid and didn't give when I twisted a screwdriver into it. Any suggestions as to what a safe solution to resolve these two problems, so that we can fix the pier and finial back in place would be?

Most reliable and quickest method to make safe is leave the finial on the ground and put the top of that pier on the ground also (it'll be heavy, you'll need a friend but that might be dicey at the moment)
Next easiest for the pillar is Gripfill (solvent based). Dust any loose off, apply as directed (think you coat both faces on porous but can't remember), let gravity do its thing
If it was my pillar I'd be tempted to drill into the bottom and top bits and glue a metre of stainless studding into it just as a precaution.
Finial- same deal wih Gripfill, same deal with stainless stud (though be v careful drilling the finial, if it is cast concrete it might fall to bits)

Sponsored Links
I would get a tube of quality external "no nails" type adhesive and just stick it back down.

Most reliable and quickest method to make safe is leave the finial on the ground and put the top of that pier on the ground also (it'll be heavy, you'll need a friend but that might be dicey at the moment)
Next easiest for the pillar is Gripfill (solvent based). Dust any loose off, apply as directed (think you coat both faces on porous but can't remember), let gravity do its thing
If it was my pillar I'd be tempted to drill into the bottom and top bits and glue a metre of stainless studding into it just as a precaution.
Finial- same deal wih Gripfill, same deal with stainless stud (though be v careful drilling the finial, if it is cast concrete it might fall to bits)
Thanks oldbutnotdead, that's really helpful advice. Cheers

Yes as long as the surfaces are sound and dust-free when you apply the adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back