Cracks in new garage walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got a garage built about a year and a half ago and have noticed in the last couple of months that 3 top to bottom cracks have appeared on the side walls. I'll upload some pictures when i get the chance, but just wanted to get some initial opinions on what folk think may have caused it, what remedial action should be taken and, ultimately, is the garage safe?

It's quite a big garage (12m x 5.5m), single skinned breeze block with piers every 2m. I only recently noticed the cracks as I painted the interior walls white, and they appeared. So they may have been there longer than just two months. My initial thoughts were that the foundations had slipped due to some sort of subsidence, but on closer inspection, the cracks are wider at the top and follow the mortar line in some places (right through bricks in others) and gradually get thinner as they taper off towards the ground. So I'm now thinking it simply expansion that has caused the bricks to crack right through.

I contacted the builder (who is still to come and have a look), and on the phone he was convinced it has been caused by lack of expansion joints on such long walls. He said he never put them in as they weren't on the original plans. However, my concern is that this was signed off by building control and they never mentioned this to me. If I thought they were needed then I would have obviously asked to architect to include them. Builder is obviously saying this to cover his own back, which is understandable, as he's the one that's going to have to fix the problem.

I basically just want to know if anyone (preferably a builder or engineer) can tell me what the builder should be doing to fix this. Does the wall now need reinforced, do the foundations need looked at etc ? My main concern is that there are now 3 cracks that have appeared at different places on the side walls, and I'm now thinking that this will be making the whole garage unstable. There is obviously a massive pitched and tiled roof on it with something like 22 trusses, so it weighs quite a bit.

This has seriously ****ed me off since noticing it, and with the bad weather just round the corner I really need it weather proofed at the least. The builder mentioned just cutting out the damaged bits and filling it with mastik then re-rendering. If that sorts the problem, then fine, but I need to know that the building aint gonna fall down.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A photo tells a thousand stories.

What are the foundations?

Not sure if you mean size or make up. 650mm deep and just standard concrete mix. At work just now, will check plans when I get home, and upload some photos. Cheers.

Without a photo, in my world, these seem like shrinkage cracks in lightweight aerated blocks. Or the mortar is too strong.

Common, and not structural issue

Sponsored Links
By 'breeze block', presume you mean the lightweight concrete block?
This is notorious for shrinkage cracking, and manufactures suggest movement joints at 6m intervals.
Aside from that, if the crack is wider at one end than the other, that can signify slight settlement. As above, pics essential.

Without a photo, in my world, these seem like shrinkage cracks in lightweight aerated blocks. Or the mortar is too strong.

Common, and not structural issue

Thanks for the info. I will definitely get some photos up tonight to let you guys see the situation.

By 'breeze block', presume you mean the lightweight concrete block?
This is notorious for shrinkage cracking, and manufactures suggest movement joints at 6m intervals.
Aside from that, if the crack is wider at one end than the other, that can signify slight settlement. As above, pics essential.

Hi,

The blocks used are similar to these: http://www.online-building-supplies.co.uk/100mm-7n-solid-dense-concrete-breeze-block-42-p.asp only they are 10N rather than 7, so are pretty solid. That's why I was surprised they seem to have cracked so easily. As I say, I'll get some photos up tonight. Cheers.

Those are not breeze blocks. They will shrink, though not as much as the aac blocks.
The fact that your crack is wider at one end than the other might be cause for concern.

Those are not breeze blocks. They will shrink, though not as much as the aac blocks.
The fact that your crack is wider at one end than the other might be cause for concern.

They're not breeze blocks? That's what they are called on the site.

They're not breeze blocks? That's what they are called on the site.

Breeze Block can be used as a general term, though I think the point he's getting at is they may not contain ash so technically aren't breeze blocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_masonry_unit

I don't think breeze blocks have been made in this country for many years.
They used to be a dark grey in colour and were made with ash/crushed cinders. Presumably because we don't burn coal any more, the source of aggregate has run out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back