unsupported lookout rafter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of building a garage, its 3600 wide x 7800 long.

Ive got the walls upto nail plate.

Im a bit stuck with the flat roof joist joinery. Im after creating an overhang at the sides of 300mm, easy, oversail the joists.

Im looking at using a lookout rafter on the front elevation to create an over hang of 600mm. However due to the height of the roof and door, I dont have the space to install a lintol. Thus I need the timber to oversail the garage door opening (2300).

To date, my thoughts are to create a ladder beam 1200x4200 to create the soffet detail at the front? However im dubious that it would work?

Is it possible to run a joist over the front door opening then notch in the lookout rafters, so of a canterlever?

Any thoughts?

Im Stuck!

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Can you not fit a a sturdy head to the garage door frame then use this a a bearer for the over-sailing cantilevered joists? So, instead of constructing a standard frame use a 9" x 3" for the door header.

It would mean you having to leave the last few joists off (allow say 2m) then run the remaining joists the other way.

You may have to double up the last joist and spike together, then put jiffy hangers on to this trimmer.

Maybe I'm not getting this but I can't see why you can't just fix the joist to the wallplate that overhangs the front of the garage, it'll still be as supported as any of the other joists. If you are then still worried put a gallows type bracket to support the end of the wallplate that overhangs the front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back