Unsupported worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We will shortly fitting a study in a room that will be floor tiled. We want to fit a 900mm wide, 40mm deep kitchen worktop (Breakfast bar type) against the wall (with an up-stand to hide the curve against the wall).

The length of the worktop will be about 3m, and will be support on three sides (left, right and back.

If I can get away with it, I do not want any down supports onto the tiled floor as I do not want to damage the tiles.

What options do I have?

- Is there anything strong enough that will prevent the worktop from bowing at the front middle that could be connected to the underneath of the worktop?

- Could I have 45deg or below supports going to the wall?

Any advise welcome

Thanks

Adam.

Sponsored Links
You could fit heavy duty bracket but there is no reason a centre timber braced off the floor should damage the tiles, or standard kitchen legs which have a plastic base.Have similar in my kitchen and my wife's sewing room which have caused no damage to floor tiles.

what load are you putting on it !!
what is its main use!!
assuming its part computer desk can you not place a small bedside cabinet or small chest off drawers the correct height for front support

You could use a length of box section or L profile iron set back a little to prevent bowing.

Depending on the load, any reasonable sized timber support will bow.

If box section you will need to drill a series of large holes on one side and then smaller holes on the other side. This will allow you to get the screw driver into the section to be able to tighten the screws. Alternatively bury one end in the wall and if you use a flank at the other end you can run the other end of the box section into that, negating the need for screws

2" L profile will be even cheaper.

If you dont want to use a return flank and cannot find a suitable bracket for the end then consider something like one of these legs

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/table-legs-690-mm-high-60-mm-12536.html

Sponsored Links
What we wanted to really do it have the floor totally clear apart from the chairs. We were going to sling the PCs under the worktop attached to the underside.

If we need virtual supporting (which I coming to the conclusion I do - what happens if someone goes to sit on it!), I would like them to be minimal - eg chrome poles.

What would be the best way of fixing these poles without damaging the tiled floor (in the event in the future we want to remove the desks etc).

Thanks

Adam

in my humble opinion because its 900mm deep and you want to hang the computers underneath
you will need at least 2 supports preferably 3 along the front edge

you could try cutting 3 lengths off 2x2" timber the distance between the floor and under the worktop and play with loading up the surface with 3 bits off wood underneath then 2 then 1

Hi,

Thanks for the comments - didn't think of the poles with feet - very good idea!

As Big-all says - I will have to see how many supports I will need - I hope just two so there is space to sit under between the poles.

Thanks again

Adam.

how about fixing a sort of joist to the two side walls, to support the front? you could trim it to look like drawers.

you might have to raise the top to be sure of adequate knee space

I thought about this also - either using a small metal 'girder' or wood. The question is how strong vs. the size of it.

I think even with two support (so 1m between) would still need stripes underneath to help prevent bowing etc.

Instead of being at the front edge, could I put several - maybe 3 or 4 of these:

http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.asp?cat_id=14

and screw them across the complete length of the worktop - even maybe mount them into the wall at either end.

Do you think this would be strong enough if someone sat in the middle - remember the back of the bench would be mounted onto the wall by a right-angle bracket anyway

and screw them across the complete length of the worktop - even maybe mount them into the wall at either end.
that's what I said.

but aluminium channel is very soft

I'd go for timber

And I wouldn't use brackets, I'd use full-length timber battens along back and side walls

that website also has steel (mild and stainless). I assume this would be stronger.

The only reason I am querying this is that wouldn't the timber need to have a larger cross-section than steel for the same strength?

The back and side walls would be right-angle steel/aluminium as from that website, rather than actual brackets.

900mm is very deep for a desk, you could easily get away with 2 legs and position them 600mm out from rear and have them support a timber running the full length of the top.A 50mm square timber would not intrude on your leg space in this position and offer all support required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back