Unswitched sensor light always on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I've just fitted a replacement unswitched sensor light, however it is currently always on.

Could someone please explain to me why this is and what can be done to solve it?

Its one of these: https://birco-lighting.co.uk/produc...=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=14705239047

And this is how its wired...

IMG_7114.JPG

Sponsored Links
I should mention that the light that this is replacing had a module inside that turned the light on when dark and off again when light.

I'm waiting to replace as the previous attracted loads of flys!

Devs,
1) Cut the copper shorter on your wires so that no copper is exposed when screwed into the Screw Blocks. Your manual says you need 8mm length of bare copper to ensure safe in the Screw Block.

2) Buy another screw block to join the two Ground Wires together.

3) Any idea why you have two Live (Brown wires) coming out of the wall? That worries me.

3) Some PIR lights come on for a minute or two when first connected to mains. Have you waited with it on for a short while to see if it goes off? Your manual says that it comes on for 30seconds when you first power it up.

4) Did you change the two sensitivity screws, the left one for how dark the night is when the PIR actually starts to operate, and one for how long the light stays on. Turn them both anticlockwise (comes on when very dark, and stays on short time) and try again.

Its manual is here:
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/1/162468786/162468786_dfu_eng.pdf

Last edited:
Is there somekind of adjustment for the amount of Daylight in the sensor and Time too?

(Just saw the instruction link so you can adjust them)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
3) Any idea why you have two Live (Brown wires) coming out of the wall? That worries me.
I was going to comment on that. I presume that there are two T+E cables there, but one of the blues in 'lost'. If there are two cables because the second one goes off to some other light, that other light is presumably not going to work unless the blues (presumably neutrals) are joined.
3) Some PIR lights come on for a minute or two when first connected to mains. Have you waited with it on for a short while to see if it goes off? Your manual says that it comes on for 30seconds when you first power it up.
Indeed, and some initially come on for the full timed period (which could be up to 5 mins with this one) - so, as you go on to say, it's important to initially turn the timed period down to its minimum. The 'light' setting probably does not matter for the initial test - they usually come on for a period on initial power-up during daylight, regardless of the setting of the 'light' control, but it still makes sense to turn it to its "work during daylight" position, just to be sure.

Kind Regards, John

John,
Yes good point regarding "still makes sense to turn it to its "work during daylight"".

to Devs,
As John said, I was wrong to say turn "anticlockwise so only comes on when very dark" as you will not be able to test it until it becomes dark - which will be a right pain.
So as John says, when testing turn it "clockwise so comes on when light", and then test - noting that if you keep moving around infront of it might still stay on.
SFK

Guys thanks very much for all the helpful replies! I did wait for a period of time to see if the light would go out but it didn't. I've just rewired it now and turned the controls anticlockwise so will give it 15mins and see if it works.

Whilst I'm waiting I thought I would post an image of how the previous dusk till dawn light was wired as it might shed some light on why there is two brown wires...

IMG_7110.JPG

Guys thanks very much for all the helpful replies! I did wait for a period of time to see if the light would go out but it didn't. I've just rewired it now and turned the controls anticlockwise so will give it 15mins and see if it works.
If it still doesn't go off, try turning the 'light' control fully clockwise (leaving the timer one fully anti-clockwise) - so that the PIR should only work in the dark - in case the problem is that it's detecting your presence/movement and hence staying on. I would add that I've known these things to come on for a surprisingly long time when first powered-up, so would certainly wait at least 15 mins (ideally without moving about anywhere near it!).
Whilst I'm waiting I thought I would post an image of how the previous dusk till dawn light was wired as it might shed some light on why there is two brown wires...
Even then, there was a 'missing blue'. I presume that one of the cables has the blue and one brown. Has the blue been 'cut off' in the other cable, leaving just the brown (and the earth)?

Kind Regards, John

Brilliant it appears to be working guys. As in its turned off. I'll get it on the wall and wait until it goes dark to test further. :)

Many thanks for all the help.

Greatly appreciated!

Brilliant it appears to be working guys. As in its turned off. I'll get it on the wall and wait until it goes dark to test further. :) .... Many thanks for all the help. ... Greatly appreciated!
Good news!

You can test the PIR (motion detection) function during daylight by turning both the controls fully anticlockwise. The light should then come on for the (short) timed period when you move about in front of it.

I still wonder what that 'missing blue' is all about. Is (or was) there some other light somewhere which doesn't work at all?

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks John all is working well! I really don't know about the missing blue wire. The house was 99% complete when I purchased it last year, I haven't spotted any lights that arent working.

Thanks again, Devs ;)

Looking at the wiring of the original light, my guess is that there IS a switch somewhere that can be used to turn the light on during daylight (what for ?) OR there is a feed to another light. On the original light, there's one brown into the dusk-dawn switch and another into the live supply to the light itself. So that second brown is either a switched feed in, or a switched feed out to another light.

It's hard to see, and the wires are probably crossed out of sight in the end of the conduit, but it almost looks like there's a twin brown+E used.

It's hard to see, and the wires are probably crossed out of sight in the end of the conduit, but it almost looks like there's a twin brown+E used.
It's certainly impossible to see for sure - but if you were right, where would the blue be coming from? Are you suggesting that there is a third (cut off) brown?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back