Unswitched sensor light always on?

I think something is still amiss with the wiring as others have said. Can you take a picture of the label on the black box in the old light? The original wiring doesn't suggest the two brown cores should be connected together.

Sponsored Links
Yes will do but will have to. E later today when I get home. I spotted that its upside down but assume it was to allow the sensor some light and away from a close wall?

Sponsored Links
BAS,
You have good eyesight (or a better monitor than mine). I kept thinking your issue was with the bolts, not the arrow and "TOP" marker. :>
upload_2018-1-29_23-46-38_cr.JPG

Maybe secure too?

I must come clean and say that although the lettering is visible in the photo as posted, and you can see it if you look for it, I didn't notice it until I enlarged the photo to look at the cables.

BTW - does anybody else think this looks like waste pipe rather than conduit?

upload_2018-1-30_13-24-38.png

TBF, some enclosures have "TOP" moulded into them, but it appears on opposite sides of the enclosure (in other words, it can be mounted either way up).

TBF, some enclosures have "TOP" moulded into them, but it appears on opposite sides of the enclosure (in other words, it can be mounted either way up).
Indeed. However, as you will have seen the OP has another theory ....
.... I spotted that its upside down but assume it was to allow the sensor some light and away from a close wall?

Kind Regards, John

IMG_7119.JPG
Here is another photo of the original light guys..

I think something is still amiss with the wiring as others have said. Can you take a picture of the label on the black box in the old light? The original wiring doesn't suggest the two brown cores should be connected together.
Not sure how that is relevant. It would be, were the problem reconnecting the old light after removing it for painting the wall, for example, but it's not.

The new light has a PIR, and two connections, L & N. So that would have to be permanent L & N, and it's obvious where they go. Whether or not the two browns should be connected together is of relevance to the house wiring, but not to the operation of the light - it's a simple beast, all it wants is permanent L & N, and it doesn't care what colour, or how many, wires provide those.

Were the problem the light not coming on, then a fault in the wiring of it could be suspected, but it's not. If the light is on all the time it surely can only be a faulty PIR.

Did you change the two sensitivity screws, the left one for how dark the night is when the PIR actually starts to operate, and one for how long the light stays on. Turn them both anticlockwise (comes on when very dark, and stays on short time) and try again.
Are we sure about this?

Nowhere in any of the blurb about the light can I see where it promises a light sensor as well as a PIR. Poor blurb, or poor assumptions?

No - that's a different light, his is a 162469316, you've linked to the manual for a 162468786. The instructions for that (such as they are) bear the product code 16246/**/16 - chances are that the ** covers the different colour variants, and that a 16246/**/16 & 16246/**/86 are functionally different.

The "instructions" for his model on the Philips site are all here: https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/162469316/mygarden-wall-light/support but they are frustratingly generic and text-free.

Yes, they show a

upload_2018-1-31_11-46-20.png

but it might be worth seeking explicit clarification from the maker.

Except....

If the damn thing never goes off with any settings for light level or PIR timeout, it's got to be a faulty sensor.

... I've just rewired it now and turned the controls anticlockwise so will give it 15mins and see if it works.
Do I take it from the above that you actually did find two controls to turn and, if so, were they marked similarly to those in the instructions we've been talking about?

On Monday, you told us that, after you had adjusted the controls, the light was not staying on permanently. Have you yet had a chance to test the motion sensing functionality?

Kind Regards, John

Just think how much effort I'd have saved myself if I'd remembered that, and not allowed myself to be misled by the post at the top of this page into thinking that there was still a problem.

:cry:

Not sure how that is relevant. It would be, were the problem reconnecting the old light after removing it for painting the wall, for example, but it's not.

Because there is now either another light which is on permanently, or a switch being backfed (which in itself is not an issue - but may as well set it up properly so he can override the PIR)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back