Unusual Lockshield Valve sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I need to change 6 lockshield valves in my house as they are damaged. I have a 10mm BSP copper pipe, so i went to my local plumbers merchants and purchased 6 standard 10mm lockshield valves. When i returned home to fit them the valve went on the copper pipe but the nut already on the copper pipe was to big for the valve. The valve and nut fitted the radiator end perfectly though

I took the valves back to the merchants along with the broken valve and was told they did not sell the fitting i require. I was told i needed a 3/8" valve or i need to cut the olive fitting that is already on the pipe on each of the 6 pipes (this is very time consuming for an amateur) The house is only 12 years old so i thought it would be pretty standard fittings (apparently not). I have searched the internet but cannot find what i require. Any help in finding the lockshield valve i require would be greatly appreciated. The photos above show the broken valve i require. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Different makes of 10mm valves will have different nuts

Cut the olive with a hacksaw and twist it if with a screwdriver it will take about 30 seconds

Cut the olive with a hacksaw and twist it if with a screwdriver it will take about 30 seconds
Thanks
Just a little worried about going through the copper pipe and bending the pipe with screwdriver. Do these fittings exist?

Use a junior hacksaw and just be careful. You don't need to cut all the way through. Cut diagonal and break with screwdriver use ptfe tape to re seal

Sponsored Links

If it helps at all - the thread on the 10mm end of the valve looks like a coarse BSP brit. std. pipe.

PTS ( Plumbing Trade Supplies ) their Tradesave range - I`m 99.9% sure that`s the one :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back