UNUSUAL RAD PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 3 months ago I replaced a radiator in my bathroom, I also re sited it about 3 feet away by extending the pipework. Everything OK.
Recently I have noticed that the rad in the bedroom will not heat up if the hot water and heating are on together ie: both control valves in the open position. The short piece of pipework going from the floor to the rad valve and the valve itself are hot-very hot, but not the rad.
Then when I close the hot water conrol valve the rad will slowly heat up.
All other rads are OK. There are no TRVs in the system.
Boiler is a Gloworm spacesaver about 25 yrs old still going strong.
Vented system.

Sponsored Links
Can only be a blockage of some sort in the valve or rad.
Is there water coming out when you bleed it :?:

Thanks noted your comments but if blockage why does it get warm when
hot water valve in off position?
Yes water does come out when bleeding although it is clear, thought it might have been sludge coloured!

hotncold said:
why does it get warm when hot water valve in off position?

I think you need to look at how this rad has been plumbed in originally.
It looks like it has been connected to the hot water supply somehow.
Trace the pipes back that are feeding it. See what the other guys think :D

Sponsored Links
I know where your coming from but never had a problem with this rad before, its always worked if the hot water and heating valves on open.
Can't trace the pipes as they are embedded in a concrete floor, its a flat u see.
But thanks for your help

Sounds like crap in the rad valve/s, try turning them on and off a few times it might clear any crap, if not take of rad and open valves into a bucket to see if water flows freely, could also be down to balancing.

Pedanticvindictive man
Thanks, I always enjoy reading your comments to everyones problems, keep up the good work.
The comments u gave to me were pretty boring by comparison though but thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back