Unusual water flow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A chap I know asked me to look at his water system as both his hot and cold bath taps run at very low pressure yet his shower in a neighbouring room works fine. Both are gravity fed. The two bath pipes and connectors are 22mm. The taps recently replaced. All other taps in the house have good pressure except the kitchen hot tap which also runs slowly.

His pipes run down from a large CWST raised in his loft, through gate valves (I changed one which was stuck) in the airing cupboard and then away under the floor. Strangely all the taps stopped running as expected when I drained the system but the hot and cold pipes and connectors under the bath remained full of water.

The only oddity I can find is that there are 2 hot pipes feeding the system. The first runs downwards from the HWC vent pipe tee as expected. However the vent pipe has another tee almost immediately above the first with a second 22mm hot pipe coming a short way horizontally from it and then turning downwards parallel to the first pipe. This second hot pipe feeds the shower and perhaps his 3 basins as well. Not I guess the kitchen hot tap.

Is such a configuration normal and could it cause the hot bath and kitchen taps to run slowly with the slow bath cold tap being a coincidence.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
partial air lock caused when the taps were replaced - blow it back with mains water - In the kitchen :idea: The shower connection is not the best but is ok. ;)

assuming you mean low flow rate at the bath taps,i had the same trouble a while ago,the taps supplied were for a high pressure system,i swopped them for use on a low pressure system,they worked fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back