Unvented cylinder- 210 vs 250l?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to install a new boiler and unvented cylinder in our airing cupboard. Space is fairly tight especially as the flue has to slide past the cylinder and out the wall. Hence thinking we might need a slimline model. Seems these only really go up to 210l (bar a couple of lesser brands). We are a family of two working (i.e. morning showers) adults and two young boys. So questions are;

Are we likely to see a significant difference in a 210 vs 250l tank? Are recovery times so good that some minor planning will mean that the hot water is replaced fairly quickly? Long-term can we get flow restrictors on say one of the showers (boys!) to make the water last longer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
So properly controlled means what exactly? Just concerned about spending 5k on something not absolutely spot on.

Properly controlled in Dan's (and my) world means piping it up on a hot water priority system, which will heat the cylinder as water is being drawn off, and connecting it to a boiler which can react to the demand properly to ensure that the cylinder is kept hot. Not many boilers can do this, but fortunately one of the very best on the market - Intergas - does have the functionality required. An Intergas boiler and Joule Cyclone cylinder are an excellent combination for this, and will ensure that you never run out of hot water.

Joule do a High Gain 205L slimline which will heat up in about 17 minutes when connected to an Intergas on hot water priority, with the Intergas cylinder sensor attached. Alternatively if you're tight for space, they do a 200L "short" cylinder which is just 1.15m high by 600mm wide, meaning you can often position the boiler above the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant thank you. We’re getting a Valliant eco tech plus. Not sure what cylinder, was going to let my plumber choose. He wasn’t keen on the mega-flo ones due to the bubble. Is it worth me pushing him to get a really good tank with best recovery times possible?

Like this @muggles? :D

20171017_123951.jpg

Brilliant thank you. We’re getting a Valliant eco tech plus. Not sure what cylinder, was going to let my plumber choose. He wasn’t keen on the mega-flo ones due to the bubble. Is it worth me pushing him to get a really good tank with best recovery times possible?
Oh well, you can lead a horse to water...

The Ecotec plus doesn't have the requisite features for fast heating of a cylinder, so you'll need to have a bigger cylinder to compensate. If you must have a Vaillant, the Ecotec Exclusive would be a better choice as that can provide the faster reheat times which would permit a smaller cylinder to be installed, although only of course if the cylinder is also specified correctly...if your installer is just going to chuck any old thing in then this whole discussion is rather pointless.

For what it's worth, I've got a 4-person family running on an Intergas ECO RF 36 connected to a 150L Joule High Gain cylinder and they're delighted with the hot water performance, plenty for everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back