Unvented cylinder install - how to notify building control

The only way that Gassafe no that a installer has g3 is if they physically send there certification over. As G3 isnt covered under ACS.
I recently had a colleague who had been under our registration for 15 years went out on his own got his own registration did his g3. But he then had to fax the certificate to Gassafe so they would add it to his notifications.
Also G3 never runs out mine expired 5 years ago.

Sponsored Links
The only way that Gassafe no that a installer has g3 is if they physically send there certification over. As G3 isnt covered under ACS.
I recently had a colleague who had been under our registration for 15 years went out on his own got his own registration did his g3. But he then had to fax the certificate to Gassafe so they would add it to his notifications.
This was a scam years ago, I think it was something like £150 in Scotland for G3 but it expired I think every 3 years , but if you went to England to sit it it was about £350 I think with no expiry date, a few of us went to wakefield and paid for hotels and stuff, then they decided it had to be renewed every 5 years, I went to renew mine and produced my card and was told I didnt need to renew as I had a lifetime quali, as usual everything as clear as mud

I've never had to tell Gas Safe. It's always just been on my ticket after resitting my ACS.

In fact, I was surprised the first time it appeared when I got my card through after first sitting the test (joke that that was anyway).

But, I did out the caveat in my earlier post saying that there are other schemes they could be a member of.

Annoyingly, the only evergreen ticket I have is WRAS. I guard that card with my life as it's the only thing without an expiry date. You need WRAS for the renewable BPEC exams and I'm fecked if I'm sitting anymore than I have to :LOL:

OP, the main thing to establish is that the cylinder has been installed correctly and is safe. A few pictures, as said, and some of the experts on here can put your mind at rest.

As for registering it, whilst it's nice to have all the right certification, it's not the end of the world if you don't. I thought I'd done my due diligence when I checked my installers G3 registration and took a copy of the (I believe BPEC) registration card. The long and short of it was that he wasn't able to notify to building control. I believe you could additionally pay for the council to come and inspect it and give you a compliance certificate, but it's up to you if it's worth the cost.

Sponsored Links
Yes we need to see it to give an opinion. I have seen a so called professional installation where the discharge pipe went into a condensate pump!

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to clarify for anybody who reads it in the future ...

A competent person who is in possession of a G3 certification does not need to be a member of a Competent Persons Scheme (in this case APHC) in order to either prove that he is legally able to install unvented cylinders or relevant fittings and safety devices. APHC simply gives their members the opportunity to 'self-certify' their work instead of having to inform their local building control board. I have a G3 qualification and certificate but I am not part of APHC yet because I run a new limited company by myself and it's a lot of time and effort to become a member of APHC. The criteria for entry goes on and on. You need to produce dozens of documents of evidence to prove to them that you work safely including COSHH risk assessments, risk assessments, method logs, method files, company policy, procedure documents, design calculations and document control systems. Most of these things are totally useless in my case, because I'm not going to sue myself and I provide myself with my own PPE. You can imagine that this is a tonne of paperwork to produce if you work by yourself. They even investigate your bank accounts and come out to view your work and ask you questions about the design of the system. So, if you search for somebody like me - who is just about to install an unvented system next week - I won't appear on APHC's system but I am probably safer and more diligent than all of the plumbers I have previously worked for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back