Unvented cylinder installed without Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bad experience with some builders recently and being that I was pretty inexperienced and a little naive some aspects haven't gone entirely according to plan. The work is complete, ostensibly to an adequate standard, but I put more trust in them than I should have. However I am trying to mend this and want to ask about the best course of action.

Their plumber installed an unvented cylinder that has been installed in my attic. Turns out the plumber was not certified to install unvented cylinders (I didn't know at the time that they needed to be) and I wasn't aware that I needed to notify building control.

Should I go ahead and confess to the council? Is there any type of inspection/certification I can get post-installation that will prove that it is in order? Regardless of what's happened to date I'd like to play by the book.

Any constructive advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The certification was to enable installers to self certify and complete their own paperwork. However unventeds are now notifiable regardless of whether the installer has G3 ticket or not. The registered installer's advantage would be that they can report it through the varoius competency schemes without a BC inspection.

Some LA's require notification before work commences others after. Experience from others has taught me never to voluntarily invite officialdom into your home.

Fair comment, but if it's been done incorrectly it could be dangerous, or at least bothersome, like if it freezes and all the water comes through the ceiling, which isn't as bad as blowing the house up.

Worth getting someone qualified and careful to check it. If a plumber can't be bothered to pay a fairly small amount of money (when it's split over time,) to get the legalities right, he may have taken other shortcuts.

I have seen one of these installed with all the safety controls left in the box.

Sponsored Links
Just in support of that and the certification thing...when I had my system installed by a registered installer 3 years ago thats precisely what the plumber told me. He was certified and did a brilliant neat job as well.The building inspector who was on site a few days later, for the loft conversion, told me the same when I checked with her.

Might be worth an "anonymous" type call to check what the attitude is of your local BC is regarding unvented systems. They may possibly ask for a certified engineer to check it out....but remember...Mr Anonymous first.

Only possible point of doom and gloom might be your buildings insurance company should anything go wrong, water leaks etc...if they can, and they do, find any loophole to avoid paying out then an "uncertified" major installation like that might be the only excuse they need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back