Unvented discharge into well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pricing a job in a cottage renovation, customer wants boiler and unvented cylinder fitted in cellar. Told him this wouldn't be possible as there would be nowhere for the discharge. He then told me that someone else had been and said he could pipe the discharges into the 20 foot well he had in the cellar! He also said he could put discharge into a trough with a pump in it to pump discharge to out side, which is an interesting take on the building regs!!

My take is it's a definite no-no on discharging into the well, but does anyone know better?

Sponsored Links
My take is it's a definite no-no on discharging into the well, but does anyone know better?

It would contaminate the aquifer (fresh water), very ungreen and very probably illegal.

Irish proverb; Never spit in a well, you may have to drink from it.

Get a condensate pump for the boiler. Sell them a submersible pump to use the well water for irrigation.

The discharge from the boiler is contaminated water. Practically it could discharge into a suitably sized holding tank.

The unvented is not contaminated water and it does not seem to me to be a very serious misdemeanor if it was allowed to discharge into the well.

Perhaps into a smaller holding tank with an overflow into the well. Thats assuming the well is not being used.

There was some discussion about boilers in cellars recently about fitting the PRV further up the building so it could discharge by gravity to the outside.

Tony

discharge into sepearte sump and pump out.not difficult.make sure pump can take high temp water. ;)

is the well used and is it drinking water.

Tony,what cat water is dhw.

Sponsored Links
Onetap";p="1508746 said:

It would contaminate the aquifer (fresh water), very ungreen and very probably illegal.

Irish proverb; Never spit in a well, you may have to drink from it.

quote] That`s nothing to what I dumped in a well -years ago. Needs Must. etc. :mad: :LOL:

That`s nothing to what I dumped in a well -years ago. Needs Must. etc. :mad: :LOL:

That isn't anything to boast about.

Only someone who has never been without access to a supply of fresh water could do such a thing.

Well the Karma came back a few years later - on a tank stillage - left by a plasterer. The well was a dry one @ the time and had already been half filled with asbestos roofing sheets and old lead paint cans. Don`t they have Dew Ponds in Essex, we`re never short of a drop of Adam`s Ale here in Sussex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back