Unwanted /unused cables and wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 light fittings against the wall that we would like to remove, and plaster over the walls. How do we bury these wires in the walls. Could we just tape them up with electrical tape?

Sponsored Links
Is it OK to cut the wire off at the source/ remove if needbe and just plaster over them without pulling the run out?

Sponsored Links
Sure - it's just that I removed a redundant cable at both ends and just left it under the floor!

It is good practice to remove as much redundant cable as possible but in some circumstances this can prove difficult or inconvienient.
In this case just make sure the cable is completely dead and cut back as short as possible.

Whats the rationale for cutting back - surely there's some merit in leaving the run in place, should someone need it again in the future.

If I leave a cable in place which is disused then I twist all the cores together to prevent it accidentally being reconnected, leaving a live end in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back