Up and coming Flat re-furb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found this site by chance when looking for something else,

I'm in the process of buying a flat which needs a bit of a re-furb kitchen/bathroom a must! I've got 5k to spend and with a little budgeting I think I can manage it. Needs a new bolier the seller is giving a newone as part of the deal due to the fact he never got round to fitting it.

Kitchen worktops are all cracked open and some units have been screwed shut as hte hinges have broken.

Brother in Law is a joiner so I'm hoping to get a decent kitchen from Howdens or similar if anyone can recommend a place?

The doors are all original but have been panelled over I'm planning to take off the panels and have the doors dipped.

The living room I'm in two minds to either fit a restored fire place back in or a gas fire there was one in and the fittings are still there I picked up a new valor living flame insert for £50 off fleabay this week

I'd like a wood burning stove in there but don't think the funds would stretch that far :oops:

I plan to add some shelving in the recess next to the bay window.
I'd also like to add new radiators as the current ones look a bit dated either that or a cast iron one for the living room

Bathroom

Needs all the panelling removing along with the bathroom suite not sure if the tiles will look ok with a new suite in it might also fit a towel rail radiator in there as well, The pipes have been boxed in but the wood has got damp in it and will need to be replaced.

the bedrooms are OK just need a new bit of wallpaper on them but useable just now.

As I've got dogs wooden flooring in the hall

I've got the DIY skills of a snail but got brother in law as a joiner dad's a painter and decorator and I know a plumber/gas fitter who is semi-retired

If anyone can recommend stuff at decent prices then fire away!

Sorry about the pics they are from the estate agents website

living room,
906_08K8_IMG_02_0001.jpg

Bathroom,
906_08K8_IMG_07_0001.jpg

Kitchen,
906_08K8_IMG_06_0001.jpg

Main bedroom,
906_08K8_IMG_04_0001.jpg

2nd bedroom,
906_08K8_IMG_05_0001.jpg

Sponsored Links
If kitchen carcases suit you then just changing the doors saves a packet.
Dipping doors is a rapid way to ruin them and I assume you are doing it up to live in so you may want to reconsider.
You should e able to pick up a cheap suite for the bathroom from a plumbers merchant, ring round and see if anyone has ex-display or mis-matched items going cheap.

Unit's are passed it and need to go total new kitchen I'm afraid manged to get a cheap sink from B&Q last night.

get the units and doors now.. %20 off at the moment.. that's £200 on a £1000 kitchen...

Sponsored Links
if you have 5k to spend i would put aside 3000 untill you have checked the roof the electrics the plumbing and the state off the woodwork [windows loors rot decay ect] thats assuming the main structure looks fine

The flat's in a tenement block which is factored if there was something wrong with the roof all the other flat owners would also be responsible for the repairs.

TBH, I need to get the kitchen done so it's habitable this is my main issue
pics of the kitchen below

DSCF0291.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

Water tank I'm getting a combi boiler but not sure were it can be mounted I'd like it on the wall same side as the window but I think that might be illegal and will have to go on the wall inside the alcove as this is onto the wall faces out into the side alley
DSCF0293.jpg

DSCF0294.jpg

DSCF0295.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

DSCF0298.jpg

Living room I plan on boarding the alcove then adding shelves to it with a bit of reclaimed architrave around it
DSCF0297.jpg

pics showing pipe work behind the pannelling in the bathroom both need to go! not sure why it was never fitted under the floor boards
DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

Whoever said keep some money back for electrics is giving good advice: you seem to have an interesting selection of sockets fitted at different times in the kitchen.
(Is some large animal trying to break out of the cupboard next to the cooker :eek: :?: )

I've just won a 2nd hand kitchen off ebay and looking for some advice as to the best way for it to be taken down and re-used with the minimum of fuss I know I'll need new work tops that wont be a problem Gas and elelctrics will be disconnected before hand

link to kitchen

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
number your cabinets [1-2-3-ect] then link the doors and drawers to that cabinet[lh1-rh3 ect

remove all doors drawers plinths fillets
units may be held together with screws under the hinges may also be bracketed to the wall at the back in the service void at the back
stanley knife around the mastic close to the tiles if you want to save the worktop
in the middle if you need to save both

take a jigsaw and hacksaw with you incase the pipes need cutting or part off the carcase

also take a hammer chisel handsaw screwdriver set and drill several pencils and gaffa tape some drill bits to drill out the stuborn screws

do not expect to flatpack the units it wont work just do 2 trips with a 3 ton van

and take help with you check how easy accsess is [4th floor teniment]
before arranging how much help you need ask if help can be arranged at his end for a fee a drink or for free ;)

Cheers mate I was thinking along those lines the fella I'm buying the kitchen from will give me a hand to dismantle it from his side I've got a van to move it in which is decked out as a self build camper AKA the bundy bus so might take 3 moves.

Just not looking forwards to lifting it down from his flat it's on the top floor with a narrow sprial stair caise :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back