Up to 1/3 of the weight of bed pillows...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to something I heard on TV, up to 1/3 of the weight of pillows are composed of bugs, which sounded rather ridiculous, so I did a little more research and found the original source, or one of them...
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-dead-skin-dust-mites-and-their-feces/352108/

Which actually suggests "up to a third of the weight of your pillow could be made up of bugs, dead skin and house dust mites and their feces."

Over the weekend, I had a go at washing some of them, the first 10, which I hung up to dry in the utility with my drying system running over-night - fan blowing the air around and dehumidifier removing the moisture from the air. All are perfectly dry this morning, except for a couple of curled feather pillows. I use a moisture meter, to check for dry. Checking the labels on the feather ones, it said 'Do not wash, do not dry clean' - Oh, well too late now.

Now for the second 10.

Sponsored Links
The biggest bug might be the one put in the pillow by the suspicious ( paranoid ) husband when he is away from home on a business trip

I made a recent post on here regarding the state of the pillows that were in a holiday cottage that we turned up to earlier this year. They must have been 90% bugs. We turned round, came back home and got a full refund.

112CEC14-B2B6-4E91-BC20-28624E2E704B.jpeg

Wouldn't it have been easier to buy some new pillows, leave them there and claim the cost back?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it have been easier to buy some new pillows, leave them there and claim the cost back?
The rest of the bed and the whole cottage was rotten. The owner who lived next door went and got us some 'fresh' pillows from his house. Fresh in the context that the streaks of earwax on them was sill soft!

427E7501-D15B-4EBE-8248-517DF29ACE29.jpeg C70AB6AD-928A-4034-981E-957B720BC20F.jpeg D5DD79FC-02E4-4915-95AF-1055A5C77E1F.jpeg 74ADB7DB-39A5-42F0-A7BD-F479B57B599A.jpeg 49B058CB-CC71-47F2-81E3-E1D831DD00CD.jpeg B86DB047-869C-40CF-BFE9-E86D6CC219C9.jpeg 6AB15F3F-D50A-488D-B36B-0E4FAC15722C.jpeg 11F3DCCA-36F4-4230-ADE8-FEC96BEAC024.jpeg BC7AA86E-92CE-43B8-9322-A85228883CD9.jpeg
FECD71F8-DC2D-441A-B3C9-EE03CD5A0480.jpeg

I've never done it (the weighing)
but it would be interesting to weigh a pillow before washing, then after.
I machine wash, then tumble dry mine with those balls that break up clumps.

According to something I heard on TV, up to 1/3 of the weight of pillows are composed of bugs, which sounded rather ridiculous, so I did a little more research and found the original source, or one of them...
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-dead-skin-dust-mites-and-their-feces/352108/

Which actually suggests "up to a third of the weight of your pillow could be made up of bugs, dead skin and house dust mites and their feces."

Over the weekend, I had a go at washing some of them, the first 10, which I hung up to dry in the utility with my drying system running over-night - fan blowing the air around and dehumidifier removing the moisture from the air. All are perfectly dry this morning, except for a couple of curled feather pillows. I use a moisture meter, to check for dry. Checking the labels on the feather ones, it said 'Do not wash, do not dry clean' - Oh, well too late now.

Now for the second 10.
Don't forget the mattress, they can contain millions of 'em :)

Think I read they don't like to live in foam mattresses... not sure if it's true?

The rest of the bed and the whole cottage was rotten. The owner who lived next door went and got us some 'fresh' pillows from his house. Fresh in the context that the streaks of earwax on them was sill soft!

It makes you wander how some people live at home, if they offer that to visitors to rent and think it's acceptable.

I made a recent post on here regarding the state of the pillows that were in a holiday cottage that we turned up to earlier this year. They must have been 90% bugs. We turned round, came back home and got a full refund.

View attachment 267933
Wasn't in mid-Wales was it? We had a holiday cottage a few years back that was just plain dirty

Nah, Suffolk. Tried putting a bad review on the site we booked it through but they blocked it! 'The old cowshed' in Suffolk. We renamed it 'the old ****hole'.

That rental looked disgusting. You do get people take the p*** on both sides. Had a person try to argue 3/4 refund because the ferry kept blasting its horn.

it’s kinda what happens when you rent a place next to 2 marinas and a busy ferry route.

Sponsored Links
Back