Clothes dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using one of these, for the first time, I have actually been able to check the cost of drying washing - using a lash up system I devised years ago for use in winter....

upload_2022-2-7_17-35-25-png.260159

The 'lash up system' is just an alternative (cheaper) to using the dryer, in our condensing washer/dryer. Said lash up is installed in our utility room, where the washer/dryer is. It comprise six plastic covered, stainless steel wires, of around 3mm. Actually just one length of wire, run between a series of six hooks, at each end of the utility around 12 feet long each run. Hooks are robust ones, screwed into two lengths of timber, which in turn are fixed with a pair of 3/8th Rawlbolts to the end walls, 5" below the ceiling. The steel wire is pulled just as tight as I could manage, to avoid sagging under load.

Damp clothes, just hung up to dry, would take forever to dry and cause damp issues in the room, so I added a fan to move the air around the room and an dehumidifier, which has a built in humidity sensor setting to trigger it. There is a radiator in there, but it hardly makes that much difference to the temperature in the poorly insulated room, not really a problem, because part of it serves as a pantry and wine store.

As said, I was curious about the actual consumption of my lash up drying system, so I ran a test today of the combined fan and dehumidifier consumption. I loaded the lines with two machine loads of washing, then switched both on, closed the door and left it for 6 hours, rather longer than necessary to dry the clothes. Total consumption over those 6 hours was 1.25 Kwh, at a cost of around 20p. Quite pleased with that, I wonder what it might have cost to do both loads in the machine? Maybe check the cost of the actual wash next?

Normally the drying is done overnight, switch on last thing at night, switch off first thing in the morning with everything usually dry.

As it is quite cool in there, things can feel still damp, even when they are dry, so to check - I keep a damp meter in there too, to check the moisture content before calling heavier items dry.

Sponsored Links
try it with an extractor fan, mounted high up to remove the water vapour

will work quicker in warm weather

WTF is a lash system???

We always dry our clothing in the drier as it makes it softer - even in the summer but with elec prices rising may revise our stance, but may be not

Sponsored Links
We always dry our clothing in the drier as it makes it softer

agree with that

we sometimes put shirts on hangers overnight and finish off in the dryer.

not anything substantial that would would stay damp as it might develop mould

CBA to use the washing line except for substantial things, and have solar panels which cuts the cost of drier in hours of sunlight

I think the dork has been at the bottle

try it with an extractor fan, mounted high up to remove the water vapour

will work quicker in warm weather

In warm weather, we don't use it at all, except when it's raining and there is something urgently needing drying, besides - the dehumidifier sucks the moisture out much quicker I think.

Outside, long ago, I rigged up a 30 yard long drying line. That is a continuous loop, running round two pulleys, again stainless steel wire - so you just load it standing in one place. It is counterbalanced up at eaves height, so it has to be winched down to load and unload it. I just got fed up with the usual washing lines breaking all the time.

Back