Drying clothes - dehumidifier?

Sponsored Links
I looked at heated drying racks a couple of months back but ruled them out due to running costs as per Which Mag test results - not good!

Glad I did now because the tumbler dryer since went South and we now have a Hotpoint heat pump dryer which is about half the running cost of a heated drying rack - and about a third of the cost of the old tumble dryer. The thing is way more efficient than I was expecting. It cost more of course - £400 on offer - but in our house a tumble dryer is an essential element to a peaceful existence.

drying racks are no good you need the moisture down the drain not in the room unless the racks capture the water to a tank or drain:unsure:

I was actually thinking of buying a JML type clothes dryer.

Save your money and buy a compressor dehumidifier and a fan instead, if....

You have a suitable room to use as a drying room. For instance, my utility room + pantry, has a combined length of around 4 or 5 yards. I installed a series of six stainless steel lines along it for hanging washing to dry. I wall mounted a dehumidifier, with a direct drain and a desk fan. I actully mounted the dehumidifier, on an old CRT TV wall bracket. I just happened to do a full wash load this morning, then hung them on the lines in the afternoon. The lot will be dry by around 8pm, when I check them, but door has to be kept closed, for best effect.

Dehumidifier and fan draw 160w, call it eight hours, 1.28Kwh 33p per Kwh - 42.24p to dry a much less than full line load. I could have dried around three times as much washing at the same time.

Remember the JML unit, simply drives the moisture out of the washing - the moisture then ends up in your home to cause mould. A dehumidifier draws the moisture out of the room and the clothes.

Sponsored Links
Desiccant dehumidifiers like the EcoAir DD1 work ok in cold rooms where a compressor dehumidifier can struggle to extract any moisture. They do use more electricity because they warm the air in the room. Different technologies (desiccant or compressor) are suited to different environments.

I'm not that convinced the compressor versions are that much less effective in a colder space. I use a 'tell-tale', a hump in the clear plastic drain pipe of mine, as a check that it is working. The hump quite quickly fills after switch on, and the clothes I hung up at 1pm are now dry at 9pm. I do run a fan at the same time, to ensure there is a good air flow around the room, to promote drying, but the temperature in there is only 9C.

I'm not that convinced the compressor versions are that much less effective in a colder space. I use a 'tell-tale', a hump in the clear plastic drain pipe of mine, as a check that it is working. The hump quite quickly fills after switch on, and the clothes I hung up at 1pm are now dry at 9pm. I do run a fan at the same time, to ensure there is a good air flow around the room, to promote drying, but the temperature in there is only 9C.
That's amazing Harry, may I ask what dehumidifier you are using ?
I recently bought a ProBreeze PB18 and it goes into sulk mode (unlisted flashing lights, compressor off) at 12C!!

It was a Freegle one, free for collection. The original owner could not get it to work, because they had bent the inhibitor switch arm - for the water collection container. It say 'Amcor' on the front, around 10+ years old.

I had a dehumidifier running in my garage a couple of nights ago. Bloody thing froze up. Once it had thawed there was about a litre of water in it. It must have been caused by the cold temps overnight?

We go Victorian and dry them in front of the fire in the kitchen. That's after they've had a few hours outside. The moisture gets sucked up the chimney.

We do have a modern tumble dryer but I just presume they cost too much to run now. Our unit rate is about 2.5 times what it was two years ago for electricity.

Next week on "Tory Britain", the best places for deals on candles.

We've been drying laundry on a creel in the utility room, for over thirty years, without the slightest hint of mould or damp. No condensation, even on the utility windows, and even when it is very cold outside.

Things get a lot more steamed up when we are cooking (with extractor on full).

The spin on our washer seems very effective - other people have commented on that - but it's only 1200 rpm.

They say modern houses are too dry in winter because of central heating. Maybe we are redressing the balance. Or maybe there is hidden damage behind the plasterboards? Too late to worry about it now, I guess..

Last edited:
It was a Freegle one, free for collection. The original owner could not get it to work, because they had bent the inhibitor switch arm - for the water collection container. It say 'Amcor' on the front, around 10+ years old.
OMG Harry that was a lucky find, I had an Amcor big tall upright thing for many many years but unfortunately the refrigerant circuit became perforated (like an old cars aircon) and a recharge lasted no time at all so I had to get rid of it (was over 20yrs old at that time). I don't rate the new stuff especially the current crop of Propane jobs, I don't think it's the refrigerant that's the problem, just the quality of products & there suppliers in this day & age!

Last edited:
Apparently a compressor dehumidifier can run in temperatures ranging from 5-30°C with optimum performance above 20°C. Desiccant units are said to extract the same amount of moisture in any temperature between 1-20°C.

Yeah my kitchen gets pretty cold at night this time of year but the dehumidifier still does the job. I'll admit the clothes aren't quite as dry next morning as they are during the warmer months, however they're still a good way there with a fair bit of water in the container.

Apparently a compressor dehumidifier can run in temperatures ranging from 5-30°C with optimum performance above 20°C.

Which fits with my own experience. I also think the use of a fan makes a major difference to the effectiveness of my solution.

Obviously I aim to do my indoor drying in warmer conditions, but that is not always possible.

Sponsored Links
Back