update on my dodgy powerflush...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just thought id let you know how things went after the guys came back a second time (see my previous thread for full story)

well they did come back! :D
it was a different couple of guys this time who were nicer and more communicative. they flushed the system as if it had not been done previously. the system was clean apart from when they flushed the actual boiler (combi - vaillant ecotec plus) and there was a LOT of iron came out. they showed us it all, it filled 2 large magnets. as we have recently had the secondary heat exchanger replaced they said it must of come from the larger primary heat exchanger (which makes sense).

so im very much hoping that out system is now sludge free!

im just wondering why the first guy (who was the business owner) didnt flush the boiler in the first place? are you not supposed to flush actual boilers? i know our boiler is very sensitive and the vaillant engineer said to make sure they disconnect it before they flush the rads to prevent sludge getting pushed through it. but is it ok to flush it individually?

only thing to mention is that our rads came on this (warm) morning but im going to do another thread about that.

thanks for all your previous advice.

Sponsored Links
if you can afford to have a Magnaclean fitted as well, you will be surprised how much black sludge it captures, and it continues working permanently. Even the best powerflush will not get it all out.

This can prevent future accumulations and blockages

We did get a magnaclean fitted as well so hopefully our system is tip top now.

have you had a look inside it? It can be very satisfying to see what it has caught. I am a bit obsessive so I scrape my mum's Magnaclean into a glass jar and make a note of how much came out on what date. At first it needs doing every week or so, but after a while you can leave it for months. You will know, because it will be fairly clean, when there is not much sludge left for it to collect.

View media item 12015
View media item 12016

Sponsored Links
I always make sure that the last thing I flush out is the boiler itself.

I have done a few problem boiler jobs, mainly Ecotec 400 series, where I have flushed just the boiler to cure problems.

Its ok to flush the boiler, you need it to get some heat into the system, cold flushing is not nearly as effective as hot flushing. I usually flush at 80c where possible, and like dave make sure the boiler gets a good flush last thing. I quite like the giannoni heat exchangers, with the amount of them being installed on dirty systems I think not long from now I could just set up a powerflushing business on its own :D

have you had a look inside it? It can be very satisfying to see what it has caught. I am a bit obsessive so I scrape my mum's Magnaclean into a glass jar and make a note of how much came out on what date.

I knew a kid like that at school, do you also keep your bogies & bellybutton fluff in a box under the bed?? :LOL: :LOL:

have you had a look inside it? It can be very satisfying to see what it has caught. I am a bit obsessive so I scrape my mum's Magnaclean into a glass jar and make a note of how much came out on what date.

I knew a kid like that at school, do you also keep your bogies & bellybutton fluff in a box under the bed?? :LOL: :LOL:
That`s fair enough ,John. But if I see you posting, asking where you can get a German WC pan.... I`m putting you on my blocking list ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back