Update to testing in the regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys first post and felt it might be time to dip a toe :)

I was looking through the proposed draught to the regs and was taken back by the new Electrical Installation Condition Report which is taken over the old Periodic Inspection Report.

If all the extra reams of paper is to go by then our EICR will take about 2 days to complete for a small domestic let alone any thing larger as each DB seems to need the extra paperwork.

I was wondering if their was any comments or thoughts on this

Sponsored Links
Disconnection times for a TT spike in a sand dune are difficult to achieve.

Sponsored Links
Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :rolleyes:

BS7671 does apply in Saudi Arabia, as it does in many other countries ranging from Ireland to Trinidad & Tobago.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for many years.

BS1363 sockets are not normally used in Saudi Arabia. So it would be overly simplistic to say that it applies.

I also see that you claim that BS7671 applies in Ireland. BS7671 applies ONLY in the north of Ireland. The Electrotechnical Council of Ireland (ETCI) National Rules for Electrical Installations Fourth Edition applies in the south of Ireland.

There are some significant differences between it and BS7671.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for many years.

BS1363 sockets are not normally used in Saudi Arabia. So it would be overly simplistic to say that it applies.

I also see that you claim that BS7671 applies in Ireland. BS7671 applies ONLY in the north of Ireland. The Electrotechnical Council of Ireland (ETCI) National Rules for Electrical Installations Fourth Edition applies in the south of Ireland.

There are some significant differences between it and BS7671.

Thanks for the info, I thought that the ETCI had adopted BS7671 in it's entirety. Every day's a school day! :)

Maybe it's a bit like the national flag of Ireland, aka the Irish tricolour.

That only applies in the south but some people think it applies in the north.

If one was to test all items as it is at the present then how long will it take. If one considers how long it took to test the practice board when doing the 2391 then if a house was tested is same way it would take a couple of days.

I remember noting on my inspection report there must be bad connections as the cables were short but the ELI still as high as one would expect for a small house.

Seems there were resistors inside board so it would test same as small house.

Seems pointless asking for more testing when often the whole test as it should be done is not tested now. The time taken by some to test we all know they must skip something.

I pointed out to one guy how he had missed things and answer was he had found a fault so it would all need re-testing when fault was corrected so no point in testing further. He had a point but in real terms we all know same fault will be picked up next year anyway. Which begs the question why bother testing?

Disconnection times for a TT spike in a sand dune are difficult to achieve.

Nigh near impossible !!!! but training the camels to wee in certain places is even harder :LOL:

Yes the government here are trying to standardise the electrical system. As here in many places earth is something Aliens visit now and again and absolutely nothing to do with an electrical system ..............

I went to an office the other day here and there was 3 different sockets on the wall from Our BS 1363 which are used for 220v through to Schukos and American for 127v

The new amendment in some ways are pretty good and overdue. Sections
43 and 44 on voltage and electromagnetic dusturbances are needed as we are all dealing with more data and communication work.

The new special locations 710 for medical locations again is overdue as I feel for to long this as been ignored. But this new periodic testing process seems to be very time consuming and OTT which sometimes the BS 7671 can be. I can see a lot of this being ignored by a tester and should that be so, but with the massive amount of red tape this introduces I can't see how this can be done within a realistic time frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back