Updating a CH System: Replacing the Boiler

Sponsored Links
:confused:
The open vented systems I have seen of comparable age, or half that, have been full of sludge and sediment.

What are they like round your way?

Sponsored Links
JohnD.
Perfectly ok and i have seen thousands more than youself.
Should not matter where though if fitted properly.
Once the first lot of water is in and inhibited it should not corriode even if not inhibited on a regular basis . Corrosion etc only occurs with addition of air and properly installed system will not be pulling any in.

But then you already know this

Last one 37 year old water came out crystal clear took couple of rads off and not a bit of sludge , Had not had inhibtor in years.

Also John if you knew what boiler the OP has you would know anything other than minimal fowling in his boiler would be evident by noise etc.
One of a kind boiler heating works on a diaphragm

It did seem a little odd that my plumber was installing Halsteads and did not have a pump. Maybe he had one too many calls to Vaillant customer "support" and decided he wanted out of central heating as his primary source of work :) . He was Corgi registered when he installed my last heating system, and did a very neat job. He's worked for me twice and is a stickler for the regs. Finding someone else reliable is something I would prefer not to have to do.

I'm surprised to hear of systems that run OK without inhibitor. Since the sludge is the result of electrolytic action, maybe in some areas the water has unusually low conductivity? I removed most of the sludge with the help of X400 originally, and then hooked up the hose pipe to the CH drain to flush it through, but I guess another dose would be worthwhile.

You could always hire a powerflusher, buy the chemicals and do it yourself at the weekend. It would save you £100's compared to a plumber coming around and doing it for you.

...Does anyone actually make a reasonably reliable product but will respond when there are problems?...
That would be WB, I have had one greenstar (HE plus, predecessor of the CDI's) break down in the past 5 years, and that was fixed next morning foc.
I had one last year that worked fine, but gave CO ratio readings that were slightly off. (it turned out to be my tester had a failing seal, boiler was fine)
Even when I told them that I was not sure about the tester, they offered to send someone the next day, just in case, and no charge regardless of outcome.
Some installers don't like their design, but their customer service is without any doubt the best in the country.

Agile - Last night I couldn't find my plumber on the Gassafe website. A name search didn't locate him, and neither did searching within 20 miles of my postcode. The fact that the website found only five plumbers in the entire country that included part of his name in their name made me a bit suspicious, so this morning I dug out his business card and got the website to do a search for registered plumbers within 5 miles of the postcode on his business card. He appeared at the top of the list. Last night I was getting worried my plumber had gone bad. Now I just know the Gassafe search engine really sucks.

Its new as they have only been registering for six months so its not surprising that it will have a few glitches.

The CORGI search also had some after 15 years!

Tony

... its not surprising that it will have a few glitches...
Guess you would describe Ideal combis as "having a few glitches" then.
It is an office full of completely incompetent idiots that can't find their own ass with a 6-cell Maglite.

I regularly remove thirty year old boilers from thirty year old heating systems and in most case you could drink the water from the heating drain, 90% of the time the water is as clear as a bell.

As yer man above said, a properly installed heating system will never have any propblems with sludge or air, unfortunately poor installation practices started creeping in and some plumbers nowadays wouldn't know how to install an OV system properly.

Also John if you knew what boiler the OP has you would know anything other than minimal fowling in his boiler would be evident by noise etc.
One of a kind boiler heating works on a diaphragm

you got any info namsag just out of interest never come across one :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back