Updating a CH System: Replacing the Boiler

Sponsored Links
Also John if you knew what boiler the OP has you would know anything other than minimal fowling in his boiler would be evident by noise etc.
One of a kind boiler heating works on a diaphragm

you got any info namsag just out of interest never come across one :eek:

if it's the one I'm thinking of it's basically an old water heater like the main medway in principle but heats the ch water instead. No electrics just a basic diaphram set up. Very sensitive to poor flow and/or dirt as low water content fabricated copper heat exch. French crap.

Kevplumb ....
Not many about basically it was the original corvec (chaff) water heater with the added safety device of a thermal link on top of the heat exchanger that if it gets too hot it melts and drops the pilot out .
Pump comes on and lifts diaphragm in water section allowing boiler to fire up pump goes off and gas goes off. Cant get anything simpler.

First one i ever saw i thought fek me how has he done this.

Kev did you ever see the old maxol carina gas hot water back boilers fitted with rads. Few and far between as well

Sponsored Links
The mechanism has the interesting side-effect of providing flame modulation. I don't know if that was intended, but pretty impressive.

Kev.
Yeah 3 rads max same as janus 3 water heaters in WAU , Never thought it was right,

Hated it as an apprentice, you see the carina box in stores and new you would be chopping out a chair brick piles of rubble and old back boiler by hand the next day. No kangos in them days .Deformed right arm muscle from swinging a lump hammer for hours.

BRUM
Think the flame modulation was achieved by simple bellows mechanical stat . Like is fitted on multipoints . Not seen one for at least 10 years

The flame modulation seems to be dependent on both flow and temperature. The operation is a bit hit and miss, but basically it works. I've been wondering how they achieved it ever since I first observed its operation. Now I know!

It's not one of those, tonybhoy. It's vaguely similar, but thankfully in much better condition.

That boy was over 35 years and hadn't been serviced in about ten years.

BTW, that's a big copper HEX you can see, it's been tinned. My mate, who takes away all of my rubbish including any scrap I throw couldn't get it in his van quick enough in case i told him him to leave it :LOL:

I have been to three of those water heater turned CH boilers.

One I repaired many times, one I did a minor repair and the third I did not have to do anything.

The odd thing is that I dont remember how they achieved temperature control ( if they really did! ).

Tony

The Corvec has a copper jacket with embedded copper pipes spiralling up from just above the burners to a finned, silver coloured heat exchanger right at the top in the path of the flue gases. On the front there's a grey temperature control stat that can be rotated fully clockwise for igniting the pilot. Temperature control is partly through rather creaky flame modulation, and partly through the stat clicking on and off. The boiler itself has required less intervention over the years than the much more modern (and very reliable) Potterton I had in my last house, though it is very fussy about flow rate and I've had to adjust the bypass valve in late autumn or early spring a few times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back