Upgrade to Honeywell T6R-HW smart thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've tried to upgrade my current CH programmer from a Randall 4033 to a Honeywell T6R-HW.

I have an Ideal Classic HE15 boiler, hot water tank upstairs in the spare bedroom and header tanks in the loft (hopefully that narrows down the type of CH system I have).

The problem i have is how i switch the wiring from the 4033 to the new T6R-HW.

Below is a picture of my current wiring setup and my interpretation of how this should be wired into the smart thermo.

Am i right that;

1 - no longer required
2 - A
3 - not used
4 - E
5 - not used
6 - the red and green now go into the first L feed
7 - N
8 - Earth again (block 1 on the smart thermo)

Appreciate any input

J

Attachments

• IMG_9148.PNG
    IMG_9148.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot 2019-02-02 at 21.32.10.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-02 at 21.32.10.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
I've just tried wiring it as follows and still no joy :(

1 - no longer required
2 - B
3 - not used
4 - E
5 - not used
6 - L
7 - N
8 - Earth

Do you have two two-port zone valves, or one three-port mid-position valve? Post a photo of the pipework by your hot water cylinder if you're unsure

Hi muggles,

Yes i have two two-port valves just to the left of the boiler. At the minute i've still got the original thermostat plugged in but it's cranked up to 30 (from what i've read that should stop it being a problem until i've got the T6R working, right?

It all lights up as you'd expect, connects to the receiver, the heating and water buttons on the box light up when pressed but they don't seem to send any signal to the boiler as it doesn't react to them.

EDIT* - I've also not bridged the A + D connections to the Switch Live - should I?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Update - I think I've got it working (going to check again when I get home from work). I've used the Switched Live to A + D and the original CH & HW wires to B & E. L N and E are a straight swap.

Now when I turn the heating on via the Honeywell app, I see the valve next to the boiler switch between A - B so I think that's all good.

Should turning the water on also make a valve move?

I'm left with 2 problems (I had these before installing the Honeywell T6R so I know it's not related);

The boiler seems to randomly fire on/off even when the programmer is set to off. The rads don't seem to heat up during these shortish cycles.

Randomly when the boiler is on it'll start making a very loud buzzing noise, sometimes for 5 seconds, sometimes for up to 30 seconds. What could this be?

Thanks again for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back