Upgrading an Existing Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we recently moved house we became the proud owners of a vintage (hard wired) alarm system. There are no instruction manuals at all and I've been on the manufacture's (Tate) website and can't find anything - I've not actually called them yet. My guess is its as old as the house which was build in 1987. No idea how it works, there's a key in the box that sets several positions (off, test, partial, full IIRC) and some LED's that relate to the zones.

If we assume that there are power to all of the sensors and that we are happy with their location, and that we are also happy with the position of the box, would it be a simple enough job to swap out the box to something more modern? I could also swap out the sensors too if needed. Obviously the system would be isolated at the CU first.

What would be involved in adding in some sort of key pad near the front door?

Am I missing anything? I'm fairly happy with most DIY but I have never touched an alarm system before and haven't the faintest idea where to being with them.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've done this, although I stuck to the same manufacturer as the original (Galaxy). Most of my alarm system is 12 volt, except the main power supply, so it's not too dangerous to work with if you're competent. I'm not an alarm expert but going by what I encountered I see no reason you couldn't do the same fairly cheaply, assuming the existing cable has enough cores etc. Galaxy panels are under £50 on ebay for example. Obviously you'd need a keypad, and I don't have enough knowledge to say whether your existing sensors, battery and siren would be compatible.

BTW the Galaxy stuff is well respected, and you can add an internet module (Selfmon) for about £50 which gives you full control via internet/phone app etc, and will call/text/email you if your alarm activates. There's quite a bit on here about Galaxy stuff if you fancy a bit of research.

Sponsored Links
Alarm.jpg

Picture as requested. And yes, the entire alarm can be shut off using the switch above. Pointless.

Yes. cabling for keypad and keypad is required for new system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back